Sign in with
Your question

agp bus speed can i keep it low if i overclock

Last response: in Overclocking
January 21, 2003 9:38:22 AM

Id like to overclock a p3/750/100fsb to higher fsb can i keep the agp sppeed down AND does spreed spectrum in bios (value0.25%,0.50%or 'default') control pci and agp speed? my mobo is a trend 6310v-01 and uses a via 133 chipset and supports many combinations of fsb does anybody know what value is best for overclocking my machine , i just want alittle overclock not too much, by the way my video card ie gforcemx200. thanks
January 21, 2003 11:20:45 AM

Check out this for a good guide to OC'ing Chttp://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=review&dId=...

Also Quote from
Overclocking >> Motherboards

svol
(Honorary Veteran of THGC)
01/20/03 01:19 PM
Re: How does FSB affect AGP cards??? [re: duncmac]

No, increasing your FSB doesn't increase the GPU and videomemory speed as they use an own clockgenerator.
However it does increase the AGP bus speed... but with AGP 4x (4*default, ie 4*66=266Mhz) the bandwith at default speed is already way enough so you want notice much of it.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on

Lastly PCI/IDE ports are reliable up to 152 MHz front side bus (304 MHz data rate) frequency. At higher frequencies, the PCI / IDE bus runs above 38 MHz which can destroy data and the hard disk drive.

I'm no expert but I hope this helps
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2003 4:35:14 PM

Your crappy Video Card could easily handle an overclock to 89MHz port clock, which is what a typical BX chipset would do. However, you have a crapy VIA chipset that has one feature the BX doesn't, a lower AGP divider. So even though your card COULD take the overclock, it doesn't have to. The lower AGP divider should kick in a 133MHz FSb.

This is good enough to get your PIII 750 to run at 1000MHz. Early versions had trouble running that fast, but you have a good shot at it. You'll need between 1.75v and 1.95v core to get there, assuming your cooler keeps the heat level down. 1000MHz is your best option for overclocking as everything on your board except the CPU will be running at stock speed, you'll esentially transform your 750E into a 1000EB this way.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
Related resources
January 21, 2003 5:35:03 PM

Woohoo I'm famous. :cool:

Anyway with some mobo's the PCI/AGP speeds can be locked so they don't change when increasing the FSB... but not your board.
Follow Crashman's instructions... he knows an enormous amount about P3 overclocking.
And yes, most videocards can handle speeds up to 89MHz... atleast my GeForce2 can.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek: 
January 22, 2003 3:35:02 PM

Thanks crashman i think i'll do that today, the only thong that stopped me till now was that my gforce 2 gpu was quite hot to the touch even at 100 mhz bus, i will post my results on the overclock 750/1000 but just accademically could you explaim what you know abot my mobos agp freq, is it always constant??? and what does spread spectrum in the bios refer too?and isnt 750/1000 too much? i would like too try a 120 bus and reach 900 instead what do you think?Thanks
January 22, 2003 3:52:51 PM

At 100mhz FSB, your board uses a 2/3 spec for the AGP. 100mhz * 2/3 = 66MHz, right on spec. What Crash was saying is that at 133mhz, your board kicks the clock generator to a 1/2 spec, leaving you 133 * 1/2 = 66mhz. If you're lower then 133 mhz, it'll still be at 2/3, meaning likely any FSB speeds between approx. 120 and 132 will not be tolerated by the system, but when you hit 133 the PCI and AGP frequencies change divider and everything is okay.

-Col.Kiwi
January 22, 2003 4:33:20 PM

ok now im starting to get it, ok kiwi so your saying that if i use 133 (rather than 120 fsb) and do a 750/1000 overclock its better for my pci and agp buses and ill only have to worry about proper cooling for my cpu, right? what would good cooling mean, i was thinking of keeping the original fan and rigging up another fan too blow laterally on the heat sink, some kind of home made rig,what do you think?
!