Replacing HardDrive on DeskPro 2000 6266MMX

I need a little advice.

I put in a 6.4 gig hd in the pc, but the boot sequence wont run the
boot disk I have in it. I press F1 to get into setup, but the pc does
not go into it. A cursor just flashes on the left side of the screen.

I am using a window 98SE boot disk set up for large hard drives.

When reattaching the older hard drive, it will boot to the boot disk,
I figure that is due to the bios info on the hard drive partitiion.
The original hard drive works fine with no visible problems, so I
figure there must be a process in changing the hd out.

So my question is, how do I change out the hard drive?

The original is 3.2 gigs and I want to put in a little larger hard
drive.

The pc is a Compaq DP2000 6266MMX running windows NT.
I am replacing the original 3.2 gig hd with a 6.4 gig and putting
windows 98SE os in it.

Thanks,
Daljaxon
2 answers Last reply
More about replacing harddrive deskpro 2000 6266mmx

    Check the FAQ on entering the BIOS.

    HH

    "daljaxon" <daljaxon@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >I need a little advice.
    >
    > I put in a 6.4 gig hd in the pc, but the boot sequence wont run the
    > boot disk I have in it. I press F1 to get into setup, but the pc does
    > not go into it. A cursor just flashes on the left side of the screen.
    >
    > I am using a window 98SE boot disk set up for large hard drives.
    >
    > When reattaching the older hard drive, it will boot to the boot disk,
    > I figure that is due to the bios info on the hard drive partitiion.
    > The original hard drive works fine with no visible problems, so I
    > figure there must be a process in changing the hd out.
    >
    > So my question is, how do I change out the hard drive?
    >
    > The original is 3.2 gigs and I want to put in a little larger hard
    > drive.
    >
    > The pc is a Compaq DP2000 6266MMX running windows NT.
    > I am replacing the original 3.2 gig hd with a 6.4 gig and putting
    > windows 98SE os in it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Daljaxon

    "daljaxon" <daljaxon@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >I need a little advice.
    >
    > I put in a 6.4 gig hd in the pc, but the boot sequence wont run the
    > boot disk I have in it. I press F1 to get into setup, but the pc does
    > not go into it. A cursor just flashes on the left side of the screen.
    >
    > I am using a window 98SE boot disk set up for large hard drives.
    >
    > When reattaching the older hard drive, it will boot to the boot disk,
    > I figure that is due to the bios info on the hard drive partitiion.
    > The original hard drive works fine with no visible problems, so I
    > figure there must be a process in changing the hd out.
    >
    > So my question is, how do I change out the hard drive?
    >
    > The original is 3.2 gigs and I want to put in a little larger hard
    > drive.
    >
    > The pc is a Compaq DP2000 6266MMX running windows NT.
    > I am replacing the original 3.2 gig hd with a 6.4 gig and putting
    > windows 98SE os in it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Daljaxon

    You first need to download the ultility to create a diagnostic/setup
    partition.

    Those machines keep the system setup on a special partition that won't exist
    on your new disk.

    If the machine won't boot to the floppy that the util creates, reset the
    jumper on the motherboard to make the a: drive the 1st boot drive.

    It will be F10 to enter the setup after that.

Compaq Boot Hard Drives Computers