Need Serious Help With New Laptop

Big Package Bob

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
I'm looking to buy a new laptop to mainly play Guild Wars 2 on it, I want to be able to play max settings without it lagging even in the most CPU intensive situations in the game such as WvW zergs (if that's possible). I'm looking for something around $2500-3000 possibly more if I need to.

Please recommend me a laptop I would greatly appreciate it. Leave links if you can and for links for which I have customize the laptop please tell me which options to select for the build.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Well, I think you're on the right track with the budget, latest and greatest will run you that much.

As far as what to buy, I'd recommend you look into Sager/Clevo, Asus and MSI gaming laptops at first. If none of those meet your taste for looks, you can stoop down to Dell Alienware, HP Envy, Toshiba Qosmio, Samsung.

You didn't mention where you live, so I'll assume USA.

A good starting place would be this website:
www.xoticpc.com - they sell Asus, Sager and MSI laptops for very good prices

You can also take a look at similar websites:
- OriginPC.com
- Digitalstormonline.com
- Falcon Northwest (www.falcon-nw.com)
- Maingear.com

If you're outside US, Clevo reps in europe are EUROcom, but they have a lot of different things on their website as well.

As far as specs, get the best GPU + CPU you can afford on that budget. At least 8gb of ram, you don't need more for gaming but if it's your fancy you can get more in most cases. Harddrive is obviously up to you, I'd recommend getting an SSD with the laptop, it's far superior to an HDD in a laptop application in terms of speed. WiFi, make sure the adapter supports 802.11g/n (ac if possible, but it's not widespread yet).

There are some laptops that offer desktop parts in them, those are nice, but I don't believe your budget will afford you those (they are also very large laptops that tend to be very heavy and power hungry). Lastly, do consider where the laptop vents are with respect to how you're planning to use the machine. Gaming laptops tend to get pretty hot, even with dual fan cooling setups, so if you plan to be using it on your lap for most of your gaming sessions, look into getting a laptop cooling pad that would fit the size.

That's about all I can give you in general terms. If you find something that you have questions about or pick something out and want an opinion on it, come back and post a reply here.

woggy101

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

check this out, should pone any game. the only bad thing is it dosent come with SSD's however it supports dual drive's so pull one out $100 bucks and you got one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpKColxIg9Q

woggy101

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

but stay away from Alienware cheaply made and way over priced

source i owned one

Just one piece of advice: If you are going to shell out that amount of cash on a laptop, Get yourself a very good carring bag and the best cooler stand for the laptop you can find.

Laptops have to be taken care of well, or they do have problems (from underperforming due to heat, to flat out dieing).

Also, i dont suggest going SLI or crossfire. Drivers in laptops are already shity enought to add another potencial problem. (Ofc if you want the best performance possible, you might not have a choice).

Labrynthian

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
I would recommend a well customized Alienware m17x, but someone has already said it's cheaply made and over priced. But Specs-wise it will have everything you need to run your games on ultra, without problems. If not, try the higher end Asus and MSI laptops. They're coming out with some really good models now. Try the Asus G75 series. It comes with an i7 processor (3630, i think) GTX 670M, which is a mid level class 1, 2GB GPU, so that should fulfill your graphics requirements. And it's got loads of space. 16GB RAM, 1.5TB HDD and it's 17.3 inch screen. Then you could also look at the new MSI GT70 with windows 8. With similar specs to the Asus, it supports the 670M, 675M and 680M also. So do some research and take your pick. Hope I helped :)