Sign in with
Your question

Arctic Silver smells funny when burnt

Last response: in Overclocking
January 23, 2003 2:55:30 AM

Well, My 1800+ AGOGA just bit the big one. It is Dead, no more, and if it wasnt sitting on my desk, it would be pushing up the daisies. It is an EX-cpu.

And what did this (right after a perfect job of unlocking the L1's)? Put the heatsink on backwards. The mounting method on the swifteck sinks is almost foolproof, but not idiot proof. gonna try and clean it off and rma it... it was a retail cpu.

The good news is that when i get my case mod finished and the water cooling unit fully in, my new TbredB 2100+ (the one they have been talking about over at <A HREF="http://overclockers.com/tips00253/" target="_new">overclockers.com</A>) should be in. Ordered it from PCnut.com. They garantee the exact processor you want, at just a little over what newegg was selling it for.
Says that some have had this puppy up to 2400 mhz. Dont think I will need to take it that far, but if I can hit 2000mhz, WOOT!

PS.. just realised what my sig says..... lol

<font color=green>::: Sir, I'd like to return this cpu, it is dead.</font color=green> <font color=blue>::: Its not dead, its resting...</font color=blue>
January 23, 2003 5:13:39 PM

As Girish used to say: 'No system is fool-proof, fools are ingenieus'.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek: 
January 23, 2003 5:17:27 PM

Funny thing is, The last time I redid the l1 brdges on an athlon, I fried it the same way.. but placed the heatsink on in a way that comprimised the core...

<font color=green>::: Sir, I'd like to return this cpu, it is dead.</font color=green> <font color=blue>::: Its not dead, its resting...</font color=blue>
Related resources
January 23, 2003 5:21:38 PM

Don't feel stupid... I destroyed my mobo twice (two different mobo's) when I was removing my waterblock. Luckily I was able to repair to second mobo pretty simple, I'm going to try to repair the first too and sell it.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek: 
January 23, 2003 8:11:49 PM

So what does burnt Artic Silver smell like?

Bacon?
January 23, 2003 10:29:44 PM

Take a cpu, put some of it on, hold over a lighter. thats about it :smile:

puts a nice imprint into your nose, has a burnt grease smell, ads to the scorched silicon

January 24, 2003 12:40:29 AM

Damn... I had a similiar experience with my Palamino... in my haste I ingeniously forgot to plug in the heatsink's fan - tell me about it. I booted-up fine, and luckily I've got enough case-cooling that the core's temp didn't above 60 degrees when I got a nice *beeping* from my cooling utility (MSI's PC Alert 4) warning me... funny thing is, I looked at it and wondered why it was so high, thought that the program was messed-up, took me a while to even check the HSF.... I can tell you when I realised I felt pretty dumb... Had a little burnt AS3 on there - though one would think that that shouldn't be - but I guess they don't rate it at very high temps..

Woohoo! Broke the 30-celcius barrier with through the loud and innefficient world of air-cooling! Also, never - NEVER - play with gum in one hand and hair in the other... just trust me.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2003 12:56:04 AM

I once did that to a PIII working in the dark! Results? No damage. Conversely, I put a heatsink on a Duron the RIGHT way. Results? Chiped the edge off the core, but it still works.

Something tells me that Athlons are far more fragile than PIII's.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 24, 2003 3:09:34 AM

Thats one of the reasons I have a kind of fondness to slot cpu's Hell Ive dropped them on a hard floor, and no problems.

January 24, 2003 2:47:12 PM

O man, I feel your pain.. I had an athlon 1700+, and after unlocking the bridges, I had the bright idea of putting a huge glop of thermal paste on the die. Of course, to much of it has the opposite effect, and I soon noticed the smell of burnt silicon and paste. The darn thing even started smoking. I have the thing taped next to my desk as a warning- and since it's death I have not attempted any serious overclocking.

AOL dialup is a nightmare... and I'm living it
January 24, 2003 3:51:42 PM

Ever smelled a fried CPU core, fried AS2 and the smell of rubber melting with the back of the CPU? I did when I misinstalled my waterblock/peltier combo (stupid isolation don't give you a clear view) and fried my T-bird 1400Mhz AHJYA Yxxxxx.

January 24, 2003 3:53:34 PM

Strange... when I was installing that P3 system I was 5x more nervouss installing the HSF when on a Athlon. Those P3 come without washers and one heck of a small core.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2003 6:24:11 PM

Yes, but I've never had one crack! In fact, think of how many "crushed cores" you've heard people whine about with the Athlon, and how few you've heard of with the PIII. I once speculated that the plastic pin grid of the PIII being more flexible might be the reason.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 24, 2003 6:54:29 PM

Sound theory, but what are the Athlons made of? I keep hearing its organic based, but I dont see the health-food connection.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2003 7:45:21 PM

Sorry, I'm speaking of the OLD CERAMIC array. Haven't you noticed the reduction in cracked core complaints since AMD went to a composite material pin grid array?

January 24, 2003 7:49:50 PM

Good point.

I just pulled a Palimino off of my wall (freshly fried) and viola, it bends nicely.

Kinda makes that CPU core cap that was posted recently pretty useless.

Now scratching a core, I have seen that done, but you arent really going to get away from that easily.

January 25, 2003 2:14:41 AM

This was on my AXP 1900 (ive since purchased a 2700).
Me and 2 of my friends were planning on unlocking our cpus together (all axp's), so we went downtown to a couple 1337 computer stores and saw that a small bottle of silver laqour cost no less than 40 dollars!!! we were like screw that, so later we rode our bikes up to radio shack (gay) to see what they had, they didnt have silver laqour but they had something that sounded similar, so we bought it for like 3 bucks. it was some kind of soldre, but was supposed to harden at low temps + partially air dry. it turned out to be really gritty and thick, but i stirred it up, and even mixed in just a little as2 to try and get teh consitency right, then i made the little lines and waited a bit, didnt dry too well, so i flipped over my processor, held it up, and put a lighter under the l1 bridges, thats right. well the stupid crap didnt work, and i ended up buying a silver pen for 12 dollars (great deal works perfectly and is cheap!), but the processor was completely fine even after the lighter thing, it wasnt right under the core mind you, but still, kinda dumb seeing as how at that time i could not have been sure about what might happen.

The first LAN party I went to was at a PETA convention. They booted me when I shot a crab in HL!
!