gigabyte GA-8iHXP problems

carnaby

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003
New system with GA-8iHXP, 1GB RDRAM PC800, leadtek ti4200 64mb, Maxtor 120GB master, WD 80GB slave, Antec 420W, Sony Trinitron 21", etc.

system is totally unstable, what gives. I've tried lots of different things, from bios "fail safe defaults" to different hard drives, single drive only, different video cards, new bios, new drivers, re-install OS from scratch.

early on used symtest to find out that 2 of my kingston rimms were bad (unbelievable!), got new ones, re-installed os and appliactions, system still sucks. Dual boot in linux and win2000. windows shuts down and restarts without warning, without doing much more than checking email or simple stuff. RedHat 8.0 has mozilla shut off without warning and does other quirky stuff.

This system is a nightmare, what the hell??? Sent board back to supplier, they tested and found it worked fine, sent me another new one anyway, still have same problems. Tried different CPU, same problems, tried different mobo (gigabyte with the sis648 set) and had NO prolbems. What gives? The Sis doesn't use the 6-pin aux power cable, is theat the key? Any experts out there with any ideas (of course, I tried different ide cables too).???

help!

-carnaby

svol

Champion
I would try with another powersupply... it could be that the aux power plug is bad.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It sounds like your replacement memory is also bad. Try underclocking it to "800MHz" in BIOS and see if that cures it. If so, time to get ahold of Kingston...again.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>