Volcano 11 is born and tested!!

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Volcano 7+ is a good copper HSF, I like the price/performance/features relation. But it's 70mm fan doesn't like me a lot, my case would like to hold a 80mm version :wink: . Volcano 9 has the right size but it's aluminium.

Finally thermaltake takes a combination with the best of both (I think so). Does anybody know about reviews, opinios, etc? I've research in the web but I haven't find anything...

BTW, here you have the <A HREF="http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v11.htm" target="_new">Volcano 11</A>.

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Yes, I was thinking of buying volcano 7+, but now I better wait to see number 11 in action ...

But it is dificult to test it with the maximum CPU that support, any 3400+ around there? :evil:

Codinerx

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
Thats a pretty sweet looking heatsink! Fan looks to be fairly powerful as well. Hopefully it sells at a reasonable price.

AOL dialup is a nightmare... and I'm living it

svol

Champion
Hmmm if it isn't to expensive I might buy it as testing HSF for other mobo's (I use watercooling myself). How easy is the Volcano to install?

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I may pick this one up, I have a 7+ right now is my secondary rig. It keeps my 1600+ running at 1.74GHz (10.5x166) on the medium RPM's. And now they have a PCI slop RPM fan, that'll make it easy for people that are too lazy to open up thier case and change the RPM's. Looks like a pretty sweet cooler.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
i'm not replying to anyone in specific with this, but i do want to point out that they have a funnel b/c the heatsink is smaller than the fan (the funnel will reduce airflow despite what appears to be a smart fan 2 on top of it)
also, the heat dissipation vs. cpu temperature graphs are almost the exact same, though they don't show heat dissipation at the temperatures where the cpus ACTUALLY OPERATE
they show approx 60watt dissipation at 20*C in both cases, so these are probably about even
if they could come out with an 80mm heatsink with the smartfan 2, THAT would be something, might not fit on all mobos though..

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
Take a good look at the heat spreader clips ... at least on the Volcano 7+ on a P4. I have problems removing it easily. The last one I removed pulled the CPU with it. I was using AS3 for the heat compound.

I like the Volcano 7+, but I hate trying to remove it.

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...

<A HREF="http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=510E6639-84A1-465D-A914-07BDB039E379" target="_new">Join the THG Team.</A>

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Hey, finally some real data about Volcano 11. Obviously is better than Volcano 9, but still quite far from SLK 800. I would like to see a comparison with Volcano 7+ also.

Anyway, here you have the <A HREF="http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/cooling/Tt_Volcano11/" target="_new">link</A>.

Opinions? Well, in my case I finally bought SLK 800 and today I'm more happy with my past decision. The fan control is not a + for me because I already have a Hardcano 7 that allows me to use H/M/L speed. But I agree that it's an interesting package (good looking, fan controlled - 3 ways, good cooling)

82ross

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2003
Constricting air, like through the funnel, should in theory accelerate the air onto the heatsink. Bernoulli eat your heart out. Airflow shouldnt be reduced much at all.

svol

Champion
The problem with constricting air is that it will also put back pressure on the fan thus making the fan put in less air.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

82ross

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2003
Pity more heatsinks werent designed like the aeroflow, back pressure shouldnt be an issue with a gradually sloped heatsink like that. What dya think?

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
isn't the aeroflow a fan? do you have a link to the heatsink?

<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=120&dPage=1" target="_new">WinXP tweak guide</A>
<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=145&dPage=1" target="_new">WinXP tweak guide 2</A>

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
the aeroflow is a heatsink/fan combo. It uses a different type of fan where the fan spins from the outside fins (kinda hard to explain) rather than from the center like most fans. The aeroflow also has sloping fins so the air flows outwards. This helps move heat out faster than normal heatsinks, it's a pretty good idea ^_^

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
dude the aeroflow uses a Y.S. Tech TMD fan... its good, but not great - i find it lacks air pressure

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Yes, and it also draws too much power to connect it to most motherboard headers...

<font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=white>*</font color=white><font color=blue>*</font color=blue>
... And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
and half the time the rpm detector doesn't even work... i've installed quite a few of these (i ordered half a dozen once for a couple of customers, including myself, to be "lab-rats") and none of them got a read-out on the mobo

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Mine read double on my abit kg7 mobo, but I stopped using it when it failed to start one time. dont trust it anymore for critical work. im thinkin about using it and a solar cell to ventilate my tent when i go away this summer

<font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=white>*</font color=white><font color=blue>*</font color=blue>
... And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
hmmmmmmmm, to ventilate your tent. Thats an idea I never thought of, and especially when its hot and humid that would be nice... where do you pick up solar cells ?

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
I was going to get one of those panels that you get to help charge the battery in your car, they are also used to power any small electronics device that has a car adapter, like a cd player or a phone charger.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Yep, its going to be hot, was 97 degrees when I went to Michigan last year. Hot as hell. Hell, Michigan to be exact.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Yeah thats pretty damn hot - gets like that here too, but we've got the humidity like crazy (Montreal is an island in the middle of the St-Lawrence river)... I mean wow sometimes. I know that I've had to do one summer in my place without air-conditioning and I had the table fan pointing right at me alllll summer long. Mind-you, when I was in Israel 3 years ago, that was HOT. I mean, 40*C in the shade... its so hot there sometimes that you think your skin is melting off of your body... I even spent a couple of days hiking/camping in the desert, and thats even worse: 40-45*C during the day, then down to like 15*C at night, so you gotta carry warmer clothes for the nights and nothing clothes for the day. And talk about dehydration - damn, in the desert you're supposed to drink a litre of water ever hour, otherwise cramps, head-aches, neausia - the works. But damn, what an experience, heh.