stock Intel P4 on 2.8 GHz

Decay

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Has anyone tried switching the fan on the original heatsink that comes with the P4? If so, what kind of results did you get? I'm building a PC for my little brother and thought I might makes things a little more colorful for him with an LED fan of some sort, but as I have not actually put anything together since the bloody case has yet to arrive, I'm not sure what, if any kind of fan would be appropriate. Since this blasted stock HSF did not arrive with any specs.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
it can be done, the problem is though that most stock coolers use a 70mm fan... and just about all of the fancy led fans ive seen are 80mm models.

<b>You will die.
If you are lucky you may last ten decades.
If you are especially lucky you will be
remembered for another 5 decades.</b>

Decay

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
So let's say I use a fan adapter for 70mm -> 80mm conversion. What kind of 80mm fan would be good enough to cool as much or more than the stock fan? Any suggestions?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
*shrug* anymedium speed fan i guess.
The issue being finding an adaptor.. isnt the 70mm fan hold on with a wird frame/mount system?

If you do manage to get a 80mm fan fitted, i reccomend a thermalTake smartfan2 thats temp controlled. very nice.

or you could get an after market HSF thats better than the stock... say teh volcano7+ or the monsterous swiftech MCX-462.

<b>You will die.
If you are lucky you may last ten decades.
If you are especially lucky you will be
remembered for another 5 decades.</b>

TRENDING THREADS