65C idle? 72C under load?

Phacade

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2003
Well if you read my other thread you know I was not going at all. Now my 2700+ is cooking. Literally. I checked and it is running arounf 65C at idle and spiked up to 70-72C under load. Yipes! I have a swiftech MCX462+ but after what happened before am nervous about using it again. (I had broken a screw off and tried to use another. I am worried that even with all the Swiftech screws that I will not be able to get the HSF screw down enough to make a difference.)I have a Thermaltake Smartfan II, but when I got it, it said Thermaltake smart case fan II (with Coolmod)and had photos of it on a case instead of CPU. I figured out the sticker goes on the bottom. Use or no use?

So what is a good HSF that uses the clips on the socket and isn't too heavy?

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Well, that Swiftech heatsink is a good one which should be able to handle your CPU, and yes, you can use the SmartFan 2 on it - its the same fan that the Volcano 9 uses, don't worry. Now, look at the side of the fan, there's a picture of an arrow (on one of the sides) ... make sure that when you install the fan that the arrow is pointing towards the heatsink.

Woohoo! Broke the 30-celcius barrier with through the loud and innefficient world of air-cooling! Also, never - NEVER - play with gum in one hand and hair in the other... just trust me.

By broken do you mean you stripped out the actual fan mounting holes, on the heatsinks, fan mounting adapters, if you did, then just get a 6/32 nylon nut, and put them on the bottom side, you can use metal nuts if you want to, but I decided against that myself, in case one vibrated off and fell on the M/B while it was energized, if the nylon nut falls on the M/B, it won't short it out. Those mounting holes are easy to strip out, I did the same thing, I would suggest when you get the nylon nuts to go ahead and get 4, I also suggest using Artic Silver III thermal compound, applying a paper thin layer to the top of the DIE only, you'll get anywhere from 4c to 8c cooler temps just from the ASIII, but you can use the regular silicon based thermal compound and still come in around 38c. I don't see how but if you actually did break off a screw you can replace it at the local hardware store they are standard 6/32 the most important thing with the swiftech screws will be the length needs to be the same.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

Phacade

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2003
When I was tightening the Swiftech space with the nylong nut, I tightenit too tight and the spacer broke wityh the screw part of the spacer still in the nut. So I got a brass spacer like the ones that go under my motherboard and another nut from a hardware store. Prblem was the lenth was not the same and it therefore the heatsink was not resting right. I will try it again. I wasnt certainif I got the right fanm so I figured I would burn another $12 and get another one. Should be here in a few days. In the meantime the system runs great, just a bit toasty. 67C-72C is the range it travels. Hopefully that will drop.

That smartfan, if I just plug in the 3 prong power into the CPU fan power on the mobo, will it just run at max speed?

svol

Champion
Well it depends on how much amperage that fan draws and if it uses a manual speed regulator or a thermal probe.
Most motherboards can only supply 0.25-0.35A so if iut draws more you need to use one of the 4 pins powerplugs from the PSU for the red and black wire (the yellow wire is rpm monitor). The yellow wire on that 4 pins PSU cable is the 12V line where the red fan wire needs to be plugged in.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Relax man!
Maybe i can help, ive got the exact same setup.

How did you manage to break a screw?
You put on the standoffs, lock them tight with a bit of glue, then screw down the heatsink screws till they are lightly tight and thats it, no more tightning needed.

And only a very small amount of thermal paste is required, less than a grain of rice.

Regarding the fan, YES it can be used as a cpu fan. YES it does work well as ive got one atop my MCX-462. If you look at the side of the fan you will see arrows indicating whcih was the fan spins and airflow goes. You want the fan to blow down onto the heatsink.
Simply screw it on then and put the temp monitoring probe somewhere close to the cpu core. I have mine stick inbetween the MCX-462 pins touching the copper base.

And when its running, touch the copper block of the Heatsink:
A. If its stone cold, you really do have a contact problem, or way too much thermal grease.
B. If its burning hot, then your cpu is really overheating. (highly unlikely)
C. If it feels warm, then its working well, and the temp sensors you are seeing are reporting the wrong temps.

I have a 8k3a+ motherboard, and its known to read temps high... ive had my cpu up to an "indicated" 86C and still running fine. The copper block at the time was a REAL 40C only.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Suron Desires it and mortal men Covert it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>