EA: PC Could Become the Leading Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Obviously EA doesn't plan to pass the savings of game downloads to the customer. Steam charges the same retail prices on new blockbuster titles at $59.99.

dco

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I bet if schools taught kids how to build and troubleshoot computers instead of how to use MS Office you would see a shift in the market. Specially considering the price of a console versus what kind of computer you could build yourself with that same amount there is no comparison.

dgriffs

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
It will be nice to see companies putting some more focus on pc gaming. Unfortunately, it seems that the majority of today's youth don't know anything about pc gaming. I was talking with my friend's brother and told him that I played games on the computer. He asked why and said that computer graphics suck. I'm sure I would get a similar response from many other teenagers. The average person doesn't know what's in their computer nor do they care. Most people aren't willing to upgrade computer components. They want to be able to buy a game and play it instantly.

slothy89

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
THANK YOU!!

Someone is finally realizing that consoles are a dead end platform. Especially the current generation, being so old.
It probably comes down to their programmers are bored writing the same stuff over and over again, and want to explore the new technologies available on the PC, eg DX11.

This bodes well for Battlefield 3 :D If only Activision weren't so narrow minded.. *cough*cod*cough*

slothy89

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
[citation][nom]dgriffs[/nom]It will be nice to see companies putting some more focus on pc gaming. Unfortunately, it seems that the majority of today's youth don't know anything about pc gaming. I was talking with my friend's brother and told him that I played games on the computer. He asked why and said that computer graphics suck. I'm sure I would get a similar response from many other teenagers. The average person doesn't know what's in their computer nor do they care. Most people aren't willing to upgrade computer components. They want to be able to buy a game and play it instantly.[/citation]
Agreed, I did a subject in 10th grade where we actually learnt all about researching components for a custom built PC, then ordered them and built the PCs ourselves. We need more of this.

If you can build a PC, you sure as hell can work out Office lol..

G

i'm tired of games being made for consoles first, then PC. it should be the other way around. make it for the better technology, THEN shape it for the consoles... also, dragon age 2 doesn't support controllers. booo!!!

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Very glad to hear this news! I wonder how much console piracy played a part in their decision. Few years ago, all the console fanbois were bashing PC's game decline because of piracy. Looks like things are heading back to an even field.

I'm sure as hell glad BF3 is using the PC as a lead platform xD

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]aznguy0028[/nom]Very glad to hear this news! I wonder how much console piracy played a part in their decision. Few years ago, all the console fanbois were bashing PC's game decline because of piracy. Looks like things are heading back to an even field. I'm sure as hell glad BF3 is using the PC as a lead platform xD[/citation]
Yes, the part I like best about Valve is that they don't use any additional 3rd Party DRM beyond their Steam client. I hope EA learns to stop incorporating SecuROM and whats-its into it's products. I still have yet to play an EA title...

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]slothy89[/nom]Agreed, I did a subject in 10th grade where we actually learnt all about researching components for a custom built PC, then ordered them and built the PCs ourselves. We need more of this.If you can build a PC, you sure as hell can work out Office lol..[/citation]

i got yelled at one day. the teacher was out, a common thing in out class. i wanted to get that crap out of the way, because programming was far more interesting to me, so i spent 30+ minutes building the pc, this was a highschool class, the pc's were free, but replacements for what was already in the class. the teacher pops in for 5 minutes at the end of class, sees the computer reformatting, and got mad... you know what its like being suspended for actually knowing how to do things... it wasn't my first time being in trouble for knowing more than my teachers, in middle school i was doing html, the teacher was teaching the rest of the class how to use a wysiwyg editter, i was in notepad doing html. 5 minutes latter, she comes by me... mad, and tried to delete what i did, but i saved before hand, and imported the code to the wysiwyg program, and was done. hello middle school office, im here for the day on an in school suspension for not being stupid.

i was really the only kid in school, who was smart, that teachers dreaded teaching, because i would eventually know more than them, or do better than them (art or shop classes) if i took an interest in what they were teaching.

-_- I don't trust EA. Nope. Even so the free to play model has it's merits and considering how many PCs there are, as well as the superior hardware and fact that people are going to buy that insane 6990, EA finally sees that ignoring the PC market hurts their bottom line. In the end, all they care about is squeezing out more money for them, so we'll see.

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I'm having trouble understanding how the "PC is dead" rumor began. PC was never popular, ever. Just because Call of Duty has recently started getting popular on consoles doesn't mean PC gaming has become less popular.

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Yeah, EA, nice. Of *course* your margins are better on the download market. You charge the EXACT SAME PRICE for your games. Whatever happened to the 'packaging and licensing are what make prices so high' argument?

Oh, you mean, that argument was total BS? Nice to know.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I think WebGL is the future of PC and mobile gaming. I don't think we will see a next gen console as was the tradition during the past decade. I also don't think Valve can rest on its laurels with Stream, since the competition will fight back by supporting open standards, and if you have kept up with the Android/iOS saga, you already know who wins in market share.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
now is the download era.. your customer is the world. so if you can lower the price by 50-60% of that high pricey $60.. you could attract more people to buy your legit products. piracy will go lower, your revenue will go up. think about it.

kewlx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
[citation][nom]theshonen8899[/nom]I'm having trouble understanding how the PC was never popular, ever. [/citation]

WTF? have you heard of D2 LOD? or warcraft? or starcraft? probably the worlds biggest games of their time right along with Counter strike. I love Blizzard and EA my fave two companies right along with Steam for making it possible to load all my games steam or not into their interface and launch them all from there and for greatest games ever for cheap prices even when stores don't sell them anymore :D

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Wow...did EA just grow a brain?

All this performance hardware floating around and the only game to EVER even tap any of it is a 3 year old Crysis. Since then game graphics have not progressed at all and even some have pulled back a bit and the hardware is how many times more powerful now?

The developers need to decide to start progressing forward with the programming and let the consoles catch up...guess there is just too much profit in the console market and what an anchor consoles have been for us PC gamers.

poseidon2112

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Except as long as EA ships their games (including digital downloads) with SecureROM, they will be missing out on a lot of potential sales. I know many people who won't buy their games based solely on the inclusion of Draconian copy protection.

gomi

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Although their games have been subpar except for games coming from Bioware I think EA is headed towards the right track. BFBC2 was a good start from DICE and I like the gameplay a lot better compared to COD and I certainly hope Battlefield 3 is a huge improvement over BFBC2.

Status
Not open for further replies.