Cleaning the bubble gum from the heatsink.

AndrewW

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
Ok, I am trying to replace the thermal tape that came with the processor with some good Artic Silver, but there is a problem. The tape seems to have turned to bubble gum with the heat of the processor! I have tried to use rubbing alcohol and nail polish remover and neither seems to do diddlysquat! Does anybody have a suggestion as to how to remove this gunk!

TIA
Andrew

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
OK heres what ive found works best after rubbing alcohol has failed.
Get out your Super GSX Blow Torch 10 million, set it to 10,000 degrees celcius, and blast that sucker for a minute or so (holding it over a large stainless steel/lead pot w/some crazy tongs).
Then wait a minute, and the white goup will all be on top because its lighter, then just take of the white stuff, put the copper/alluminum into a mold, and make a new one:)

I dyed my body green, branded an "n" on my chest, and stood on a box in the middle of Time Square for 3 days shouting, "ATI is the Anti-Christ!" to boost sales after nVidia had a losing quarter.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Method 1: Put the heatsink in the kitchen sink. Run very hot water over it, and rub the "bubblegum" off.

Method 2: Put the heatsink in the freezer. Get a new razorblade, carefully scrape the old stuff off.

These may all work, or none of them may work. Depends on what "bubblegum" it is. Just rmember to take the fan off before putting it in the sink :wink:

<font color=green>::: Sir, I'd like to return this cpu, it is dead.</font color=green> <font color=blue>::: Its not dead, its resting...</font color=blue>

LCARS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2002
Actually, fire is probably the fastest method.

But I think a simple propane torch or a cigarette lighter will do.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Now wont high heat like that warp the metal and bring the surface out of flat?

<font color=blue>...we are not responcible for any amount of idiocy you apply to our advice.<font color=blue>

svol

Champion
Ofcourse, but atleast it removes the thermal paste.

Now lets get serious... maybe a small knife can help if you be carefull. Or some special electronics cleaner a guy on this board was talking about... don't remember the name of it though.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Ive used the knife method, and it works, just take your time and be REALLY careful not to cut the surface of teh sink.

OR you can take a single edge scraper / razor blade (a non-used one) and lie it flat on the surface, slowly slicing away at the thermal stuff, unil you get to metal or near metal. Freezing definatly helps this.

<font color=blue>...we are not responcible for any amount of idiocy you apply to our advice.<font color=blue>

LCARS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2002
Hmm... sounds easier just to replace the heat sink.

You can find a buttload* of them at any computer store and they're cheap. But I guess this is also a challange, so FIGHT THE TAPE!

There is this stuff called "Electric Parts Cleaner", "Goo-Gone" and "Crystal Simple Green" all of them work wonders.

<i>*"buttload" is not a valid unit of measurment</i>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
possibly... if its a cheapie heatsink.
That goop stuff is easier to remove if its never used.. the heat from the cpu melts and 'sets' it.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Suron Desires it and mortal men Covert it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Instead of a metal knife try a plastic one, or better yet an ice scraper. They won't scratch the heatsink since the metal is stronger than the plastic. Try freezing the HS first.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

mjjohn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
Try a laundry pre-cleaner spray or gel, ie; Spray-N-Wash or Shout. Let it soak a bit, work it in, then rinse.

Also, visit your local auto parts store. A brake or carburator cleaner works well. NOT THAT ORANGE CRAP ! Good, old fashioned, environment killing, turn your hands white cleaner -GUNK.

For it is not what is seen, but what is not seen. :eek:

pkananen

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
I am new here. I work at a computer retail store, so i get good deals on stuff. For example, I just received a P4 2.53 ghz, D845PEBT2 MOBO, win xp pro, all for $175. it was through intel.

anyway, i took out the heat sink, and scratched the thermal tape (i figure the stuff they give you is about as good as tape) with my fingernail. do you think i should just take off the crap and put on some paste, or should i just get a new heatsink? how are the stock p4 coolers? i was thinking that it might be easier to scrape it off now instead of doing it later.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yep. sounds like a good idea.
Stock coolers for p4's are pretty good, and using thermal paste will make them a bit better even.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>