Easy installation HSF

svol

Champion
Instead of the best performing HSF I'm searching for one that is very easy to install. I don't want a HSF that uses the 4 holes of the motherboard to mount or one where you need to remove it with a screwdriver while damaging your board by all the force needed.
The performance doesn't have to be great... as long as it keeps modern CPUs cool. I'm going to use this HSF for testing boards or boards I'm repairing.
It is for a Socket A BTW.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Well...those Coolermaster X-dreams have the little clippy you use your fingers for instead of screwdriver. Uses all 3 parts on the socket, and is decently cooling

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...

svol

Champion
That HSF installation clip sure looks fine... and enough cooling for testing. Too bad it isn't available in Holland at the moment. Maybe any other suggestions?

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Hmm, well, those new Vantec Aeroflows also have a 3 clip design, you sorta need a screwdriver, but you could just use your finger, the clip is big enough for that

edit-better yet, the Global Win Tak-68, that has a 3 clip design, as well as you screw on the clip, so no screwdriver needed to even remove it

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Quetzacoatl on 01/30/03 09:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

svol

Champion
Hmmm... that GlobalWin looks nice, and funny. I will see if a local store sells it.

Codinerx

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
You could try the thermalright ax-7, it has a large clip that attatches to the socket at four points- very easy to install or take off with a flathead screwdriver. The mount is solid and should not give you any problems.

Codinerx

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
Really? I got mine for about 24 dollars, I think its definitly a reasonable price for the performance. Good luck though!

cjmurph

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Zalman coolers come with a special little tool for getting them on and off. I've never done it easier! the only thing that might be a hinderence is that the fan is mounted to the case itself, but its very easy to remove (one thumb screw from its mounting bracket). I'm using a CNPS6000-Cu model which more than adequately cools my overdone XP-2100. I don't know about availability where you are but it was hard to find in Australia.

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
svol,

A couple suggestions:

If the Zalman is easy enough to install and remove, you could just make a small stand to hold the fan, and put the motherboard under the fan.

Another idea to make most normally hard to remove HSF's go on and off a bit easier:

Get a medium sized flat blade screwdriver with a blade wider than the clip. File a flat recess in the tip that will "lock" the blade to the clip when you push it down. That will keep it from slipping off as you depress it to clip and unclip it.

If the tool works well enough, then you can go with almost any HSF. I'm partial to the copper bottom Taisol's with the triple hole clip. They work well enough with the stock fan, and do better with a bigger fan (amazing! :eek: )

my 2 cents,

BW

svol

Champion
Hmmm... I did try to remove a @^$#^#^$ HSF once with almost all screwdrivers I had (large ones too) but I couldn't get a grib on it. I had to remove the entire mobo from the case and after that it was still almost impossible to remove that HSF. It resulted in a crushed core... but it could be that the core was already crushed before I tried to remove the CPU.

My whole idea is that I can remove, or mount the HSF in a couple of seconds so I can easily test boards with different CPUs without risking to damage it.
My Alpha PAL6035 had a very nice installing clip but is already used in another PC... and they are very hard to get nowadays.

svol

Champion
Well the store I'm planning to buy some PC3500 memory also has a couple of Coolermaster HSF with almost the same clip as the X Dream HSF... but only uses one pin of the socket. They look easy to install.

cjmurph

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
for ese of installation I will once again refer you to Zalman. so easy its ridiculous. the fan problem could be quite easily overcome by setting up any normal houshold fan to blow across the heatsink, as it really is quite a passive setup anyway. you should seriously check them out, no crushed CPU no sore fingers. godsend. anyway goodluck. I'm interested to see what you end up with.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
how about the spire falconrock2? <A HREF="http://www.dansdata.com" target="_new">http://www.dansdata.com</A> has a pic & review of it on the front page. cheap and cheerful with a nice 3 clip design.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by LHGPooBaa on 02/03/03 10:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

svol

Champion
Cool... they have that HSF is a store in the town where I go to school. And only for €15. I think that is going to be my test HSF.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
:smile: nice.
The only thing that could be improved is using a thumb attachable clip... but dan seems to like it, so there!

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>