lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Proper liquid cooling!
<A HREF="http://www.tractum.de/" target="_new">http://www.tractum.de/</A>

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

svol

Champion
Wow... now that is a nice aquarium.

Any idea which kind of oil he uses... and how much that costs?

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well you can use transformer machine oil... anything really that
A. is non-dielectric
and
B. doesnt oxidise or corrode things.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

svol

Champion
C. Transfers heat efficiently... so probably no hyrdalic oil.

Now only some fishes at the aquarium is complete.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well they might, depending on its viscosity.
It looks of a light colour, so it might be a fairly light and non viscious grade of oil.
But they definately wont be spinning at anything near full speed, and the fan motors would be struggling

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
not hydraulic no.... post proably very similar to the oil they use to cool and insulate electrical converters.

While its not as good as water regarding heat transfer rates and heat adsorbtion ability the fact that it covers EVERYTHING makes it as good as a water cooled solution. The heat can spread out uniformy in the bath

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i dunno...
looks cool to me. dont have to worry about overheating or dust getting in.

as for getting the oil off, remove the component, let it drip dry, then gently swab with cloth to get it moderately clean.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yeah i know.... all that oil... and not a pair of semi naked chicks wrestling in it! *shakes head sadly*

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
it seems a little odd to me that they would install fans on it considering the fans wouldn't be doing f*** all.....

<b><font color=red>Nothin like a Pentium II furiously churning out a blistering 0.8 FPS on 3D Mark 2001!!!</font color=red></b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well assuming they have enough grunt to move, they would help circulate the oil, moving warm oil away from the cpu's and the like...

better using liquid pumps though.

LCARS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2002
I noticed he seems to have an Eheim pump sitting inside the tank... but there's only an output line, no return line, so I gather the pump is only there to pump the oil out of the tank. :/

The guy's got the right idea (and a very original idea at that), but using the original air fans is just wrong. <i>Stupid</i> wrong. :)