CoolerMaster heatpipe *DELETED*

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Thanks to all that helped with my problem.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by roy on 01/31/03 06:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
try resetting the bios, and make sure the fan is plugged into the correct motherboard header, some boards shut down after tehy dont get a fan rpm singnal. Also is your board up too snuff for a 2100? What are your system specs?

<font color=blue>...we are not responcible for any amount of idiocy you apply to our advice.<font color=blue>

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Thanks for your reply. Bios is not a problem, all settings are as they should be. The board is a Asus AV7333 so its certainly up to the task. This HSF was to replace an existing HSF which has been running quite successfully for the last 3 months and I thought this upgrade would be of benifit for future upgrades. it is plugged into the correct header pins. I have been building systems for some years, however, I have never come across this before.

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
you didn't chip the core did you, just a thought
if you've been puttin systems together for a while then i'm gonna assume you put the hsf on correctly

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
exactly... did you put it on ok, didnt put iton backwards, also, are the heat pipes anywhere near capacitors or have the chance to damage any components on the board?

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Yes the HSF is installed correctly. :lol: My system is currently running on the old HSF with no problem. So far I've tried putting on the new one on three occasions with the same result. Thanks for your imput.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmm. Curious.

Is the fan on the coolermaster running at significantly lower RPM than the old one?

I saw it once on my GF's PC. when i swapped out the old buzzy heatsink and put a nice bit slow one in it refused to boot saying the fan rpm was bellow "acceptable" limits.

try clearing the cmos or lookin in the bios for fan speed monitoring or "no fan speed halt post" sort of thing.

Somehting else you could try is running the fan off a 4pin molex connector instead, and leaving the header free.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

Try getting a 3 to 4 pin power adapter and getting your power from the power supply itself your M/B fan header, the header may not supply enough power for the fan, I don't know the wattage but she runs at 7000rpm so its pulling some serious watts. I don't know why Coolermaster didn't set the thing up with a 4 pin plugin with a 3pin sensing wire, from the factory, they know some M/Bs can't handle it.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

Have you any idea of your CPU temperature during this time? As I recall that motherboard has a safety cut-out to stop your CPU frying, this might account for the system shutting down.

:eek: Remember it's only a crime if you're caught :eek:

mjjohn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
previously same problem.
Same MoBo, same cpu, same heatsink.

That board has cpu overheat protection - it will shut down.
I found that after checking the bios and fan connections and resetting the heatsink several times that the heatsink was really not seated.

The step that goes over the cpu clamp was not wide enough and was hanging up slightly on the clamp. It looked seated but was raised a bit on the one edge causing the cpu to overheat. If it were not for the protection built into the board the cpu would have smoked. Thank you Asus !

Anyway, I happen to have access to a milling machine and was able to widen the step on the heatsink. I probably took off about 1/8". You could positively see that the edge of the step was between the clamp and the cpu pad. Now the heatsink was definitly sitting flat on the core. This took care of the problem.

If you think this could be your problem but do not have access to a machine, a file or Dremel would work fine. It does not need to be perfect. Just make sure you don't remove too much copper so the sink does not sit completely on the cpu pads.

And, if you got the new Coolermaster Heatpipe with the 'silent' fan - ditch the fan. That 14 cfm or whatever it is just doesn't cut it. You will see temp creep into the upper 50s to mid 60s. Get a fan with a little more push.

With a decent fan my heatpipe is keeping the XP2100 at 38c idle and tops out at 45c after running Sandra for 30 minutes - thats with 30c ambient. I am happy with that.

For it is not what is seen, but what is not seen. :eek: