FSB overclocking?

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
When overclocking your FSB, should you increase the Vcore and DDR voltages for increased stability?

For example, I have heard the Athlon XP on the Palomino core runs at 1.750 Vcore. The range in my BIOS is from 1.500 to 1.850

RAM modules run at 2.5 V, right? My range can go from 2.5 to 2.8

If I am overclocking my FSB, should I increase these values, or leave them alone?

-----

Benchmarks don't lie :)

svol

Champion
You only have to increase the voltages if the CPU and/or memory are generating errors under higher speed or if the CPU doesn't want to boot with a higher CPU speed.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You mean just to find your max speed? Well, since 1.85v and 2.8v won't hurt anything in the short term, I guess you could raise them both to that level and increase your bus speed until it's unstable, then back it down a little to stabilize it, then start lowering the vcore until it's unstable, then raise it just enough to stabilize, and finally lower your vRAM until it's unstable, then raise it just enough to stabilize. That way you can find your 1.) highest clock speed 2.) lowest acceptable CPU vCore at that clock speed 3.) lowest possible vRAM at that clock speed.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>