new p4 2.53, seems way to hot at stock speed.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
I just put together a new pc i was hoping to OC soon. However, the MSI 845 PE motherboard reports that the idle temp is 50C and it reached 64C after playing Warcraft 3 for 10 minutes. This is using the stock HSF...does the stock HSF just completely suck or is the motherboard reporting odd temps or do i have a bad cpu? Any ideas? i'm not good with converting C to F but my room was about 88F at the time. I have one intake and one output fan on the case. The case temp didnt budge, it stayed at a nice 88F, same as the rest of my room.

Why the huge 14C swing in temps between idle and a game?

Windows is like a house of cards... One wrong move and it all comes crashing down.

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
that does sound too high even for the stock hsf
it sounds like it may not be properly seated, and i've never used the thermal pad that i'm assuming came on the bottom of the sink, but it's probably not gonna be great
it's not a problem with your cpu
if you're using decent thermal paste (namely, arctic silver, or anything not white..) and you applied it properly, then the problem might be bad sensors
my cpu used to get really hot but it was because a) it was the summer and b) i had bad case flow
but you insist that case temps are good so...
try reseating the heatsink, if it's still the same then it's the sensors

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
yea i just went out and bought a nice zalman copper HSF setup and it didnt make a damn bit of difference in what the sensors read, i ahve a feeling its bad sensors... how this new one could possible by the same as the stock...i have no idea, seems impossible to me.

Its seated properly...i've seated the thing 3 times. I'm not using the stock thermal paste or pads...i cleaned all that crap off, i've tried both HSF's with Artic silver 2.

ARGH, i guess i'll leave it and see, have a 1 year instant replacement warranty on it so i guess i'm okay=)

Windows is like a house of cards... One wrong move and it all comes crashing down.

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
hey, that does sound high; try a little program called "Speed Fan 4.07". it works great for me. it also gives you your harddrive performance and such. :)

<font color=purple> We can't all be heros,someone has to stand on the sidewalk and clap!!

NE_Corridor

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
1) 88F is approx 31C.
2) The temp increase between idle and "game" is normal. Anytime the CPU is working or stressed, it's gonna draw more power and creat more heat.
3) The stock HSF unit is adequate.
4) If you want lower CPU temps or want to OC, pony up for a good aftermarket HSF, or extreme cooling.

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
That is a little warm...my cpu temps on my p4 2.4B@2.88 are reported by my motherboard to be around 42C Idle 47C underload but I am using a swiftech mcx4000hs with a thermaltake smartfanII and five case fans...what kinda case cooling are you using? This is important to get the heat out of the case so it isnt like an oven

<font color=green>Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza<font color=green>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well if your room is 31c then dont expect your processor to be the same!!!
cpu temps go up linearly with room temp. (so to do case temps)

does the heatsink feel especially hot or cold? if not, dont worry about it.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
I put a Thermaltake Spark 7 from Directron on it. Damn ince HSF setup, lil loud though=) but thats okay, i can deal with it since its just fan noise and the case muffles somewhat (put dynamat padding everwhere i could, couldnt over the window;D) Case is brushed aluminum. Two case fans, 1 8cm on the side blowing in. 1 6cm on the back blowing out, thinking about adding an antec jet cooler in a pci slot below the Gfx card, i have that in a box at home already.

With the thermaltake cpu temps do hold a steady 3C or so lower than before it looks like. I did notice with some cooler weather we just had that the temps went down when i opened the window and cooled the room to 69F=) idle dropped to 43C there so i guess i'm good. The case temp is averaging 83-90F for me right now depending on what temp my room is.

Here's a question though, Is a 3.06 Ghz going to run even hotter than the 2.53? My upgrade plan has me getting that later this year...

svol

Champion
Oh yes it is going to put out more heat. It is the most warm stock CPU (so not OC'ed) at the moment with more then 80W heat at full speed.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Well it cant REQUIRE a water cooled system, how the heck do you cool a 3.06 in anything resembling a normal pc. Do you just have to keep your house AC down to 65F year round? In a 20C room my proc reaches ~54C tops when maxing it out for a good period of time. I'm scared of what a 3.06 would do...and no store bought system would have as good a cooling as mine...how is it possible to run these procs without frying them?

This is the case i'm using: <A HREF="http://www.directron.com/atxa288usb.html" target="_new">http://www.directron.com/atxa288usb.html</A>

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
they made a new stock cooler for it, and it's supposed to get the job done
i wouldn't try overclocking with it though

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
the spark 7 i put on my 2.53 is rated for 3.06 and up p4's... I guess Intel is just gonna push the limit for heat and run as close to the line as they can...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
of course your case temp will fall with lower ambient room temps. laws of thermodynamics!

and im getting confused here... stop swappin between deg C and F! LOL

Yes the 3.06 will run hotter, unless you are lucky enough to get a latter yet to be released core revision that runs cooler.

currently the 3.06 puts out a significant 85W at full load, hotter than any AMD cpu.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

svol

Champion
Well if your P4 reaches 54C with a 20C room temp with a Spark 7 then I'm wondering if your case cooling is set up correctly or the HSF is correctly installed.
Little to heat IMO for that setup.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek: