thermal pastes

spiderstorm

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
is any regular thermal paste useful for conducting heat to the heatsink. i bought one it says "silicon gress -40 +250 degrees celcius" or i have to purchase an Arctic Silver 3??

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
The generic white stuff silicon paste is alright, not the best for overclocking though. I wouldn't touch Arctic Silver 3 till I had some experience though. It conducts electricity, and it smears easily.

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I use Artic Silver III. I know it's not incredibly cheap, but if you're willing to pay like 15 bucks for a tube odds are you'll be set for many years.

At work I use the white paste, it seems to work ok. Something about the silver just makes one feel much more professional.

It's all good ^_^

svol

Champion
Arctic Silver 2 and 3 are so made that they hardly conduct any electricity. The biggest problem is getting a thin layer of it on the CPU core.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Hmm...well, for a thin layer, I use my parents old credit cards (or new ones ^^), as well as sometimes, the coolermaster card that comes with the thermal paste that they sell. Not too bad, but it's viscosity is very high, hard to get it thin enough without showing through the die

spiderstorm

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
thanks for your helps..i haven't tried the thermal paste yet but i have another question. as mentioned in the coolermaster website cp5-7jd1b should cool better. even with its bad thermal pad. so what is wrong that it does not cool my AXP 1700+ better than the older model dp5-6i31c, though it has not a copper plate.

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
well, i've never heard of those 2 heatsinks, they sound like they're on the lower end of coolermasters heatsinks. I wouldn't rely on coolermaster's website, rather, check your temps with a probe and see which one is better

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I use a razor blade to get a thin layer, put an amount the size of a half pea, and drag it back and forth with the blade until the die is covered. The thinner the better, in my opinion. The paste is only used to fill the microscopic pits in the heatsink.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."