Help setting up Wireless Network

Zergling

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2002
Hey guys we just moved and our Ips changed from static to dynamic. I have an old router with no PPPOE. So we decided to switch to wireless.
I was looking at the Linksys BEFW11S4. Top item on Linksys and rated well around.
Im wondering if that is a pretty good router. Also
I want to have a set up where 1 computer is wired to dsl.
While the other one is wireless. Also adding a wireless laptop.

How far is the range of the wireless and is it good for transfering files and playing games.

What kind of network card do I need. A usb one. Or will a PCI one with an antenna work. I was stunned by that pci with antenna. But what are pluses and minues of the 2 cards.
If anyone can help its greatly appreciated.
Also is it advised to use linksys router with linksys cards or can they be diff companies.
Thanks

The Linksys BEFW11S4 works fine for me .I have a USB version2.5 with the small antenna that reaches almost 200yds with a signal strength of 60/40 and connects at 11mb/second. Both are set up in windows so there are no walls between them. Performance seems good . I can watch videos and download at almost full dsl speed.Although USB uses more system resources and will increase ping times slightly. This may be a cheaper option for the laptop. Make sure that your laptops usb can power it...

As long as the devices you buy are all 802.11b they will all work together reguardless of brand.

Actual range will vary depending on # of walls between devices, type of antenna used etc.

I aint signing nothing!!!

herrflik

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2002
As long as the devices you buy are all 802.11b they will all work together reguardless of brand.
That ought to be elaborated.. Firstly, make sure any dot11b device you buy is WiFi certified (or see www.wf-fi.org for a list); and secondly, be prepared to mess with the settings a little: a lot of manufacturers preconfigure their kit to work only in a proprietary mode, and you have to reset it to work properly in a mixed brand system.

RobertNKC

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2002
Mine is working great at home. Access point is in the basement and am getting 80% signal strength 2 floors up. One drawback that struck, had to replace my Panasonic 900Mhz cordless phone. Found out after network was installed that it was a known issue that the Panasonic phones (900Mhz only) will kill your wireless connection (Linksys only). Just my luck.