Compaq Deskpro 386s model 2530

I have gotten a Compaq Deskpro 386s

>From what I can see on this picture
http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebras/images/r0015149.jpg it must be
the 2530 model.

The first issue is that I don't know how to have more memory.
The operating system I'm planning to run requires at least 8MB, and
would perform better with 12MB.

>From this picture
http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebras/images/r0015136.jpg it appears
the max memory in this machine is 13 MB, I don't know if I need a
memory expansion board or if I just need memory chips. There appears to
be some card which might or might not be the memory expansion board
(look at this picture:
http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebras/images/r0015124.jpg )

I don't know what type of memory I need. It's for sure not 30-pin SIMMs
or 72-pin SIMMs.

The other issue is the hard disk. From what I can see on this picture:
http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebras/images/r0015133.jpg this machine
only supports a handful of "types". I guess this means I can't just use
any 540 MB IDE drive I might have around. Also, I don't even know if
this machine uses IDE drives or "other" (ESDI ?) drives....

If anybody could help, I would be very glad.

Thank you,
Daniel

<daniel_lebras@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have gotten a Compaq Deskpro 386s
>
> >From what I can see on this picture
> http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebras/images/r0015149.jpg it must be
> the 2530 model.
>
> The first issue is that I don't know how to have more memory.
> The operating system I'm planning to run requires at least 8MB, and
> would perform better with 12MB.
>
> >From this picture
> http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebras/images/r0015136.jpg it appears
> the max memory in this machine is 13 MB, I don't know if I need a
> memory expansion board or if I just need memory chips. There appears to
> be some card which might or might not be the memory expansion board
> (look at this picture:
> http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebras/images/r0015124.jpg )
>
> I don't know what type of memory I need. It's for sure not 30-pin SIMMs
> or 72-pin SIMMs.
>
> The other issue is the hard disk. From what I can see on this picture:
> http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebras/images/r0015133.jpg this machine
> only supports a handful of "types". I guess this means I can't just use
> any 540 MB IDE drive I might have around. Also, I don't even know if
> this machine uses IDE drives or "other" (ESDI ?) drives....
>
> If anybody could help, I would be very glad.
>
> Thank you,
> Daniel

Several companies made ISA memory expansion boards if you could find one it
maybe a little slow but still work. You should be able to install a larger
disk and use a product like disk manager to map it correctly note you would
need and old version of this software as the version they sell now doesn't
support 386 CPU. Which OS are you planing to use ? From a economic stand
point you should be able to buy a used computer for much less than $25 than
would be better choice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=74946&item=5180127417&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

As a second to this, I was just at EPC last week and Pentium (I) class
machines were going for about $50.00 w/o OS.

KC

"Stanley Reynolds" <nospam_stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> <daniel_lebras@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I have gotten a Compaq Deskpro 386s
> >
> > >From what I can see on this picture
> > http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebras/images/r0015149.jpg it must be
> > the 2530 model.
> >
> > The first issue is that I don't know how to have more memory.
> > The operating system I'm planning to run requires at least 8MB, and
> > would perform better with 12MB.
> >
> > >From this picture
> > http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebras/images/r0015136.jpg it appears
> > the max memory in this machine is 13 MB, I don't know if I need a
> > memory expansion board or if I just need memory chips. There appears to
> > be some card which might or might not be the memory expansion board
> > (look at this picture:
> > http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebras/images/r0015124.jpg )
> >
> > I don't know what type of memory I need. It's for sure not 30-pin SIMMs
> > or 72-pin SIMMs.
> >
> > The other issue is the hard disk. From what I can see on this picture:
> > http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebras/images/r0015133.jpg this machine
> > only supports a handful of "types". I guess this means I can't just use
> > any 540 MB IDE drive I might have around. Also, I don't even know if
> > this machine uses IDE drives or "other" (ESDI ?) drives....
> >
> > If anybody could help, I would be very glad.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Daniel
> >
> Several companies made ISA memory expansion boards if you could find one
it
> maybe a little slow but still work. You should be able to install a larger
> disk and use a product like disk manager to map it correctly note you
would
> need and old version of this software as the version they sell now
doesn't
> support 386 CPU. Which OS are you planing to use ? From a economic stand
> point you should be able to buy a used computer for much less than $25
than
> would be better choice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=74946&item=5180127417&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I am planning to run Debian GNU/Linux. potato (release 2.2) will run on
8MB, albeit very slowly. woody (release 3.0) requires 16MB, and will
also be very slow on just 16MB.

The problem isn't actually economic ;), I just happen to collect
various "vintage" computers and try to run operating systems on them.
Indeed, you can find unexpensive Pentium-class computers. For instance,
on ebay.de, there's a bunch of Pentium-II @ 233 MHz machines with 128
MB RAM for 29 EUR.

Anyway I'd be glad if I could have more RAM on this Deskpro 386s. :)

Thank you,

> I am planning to run Debian GNU/Linux. potato (release 2.2) will run on
> 8MB, albeit very slowly. woody (release 3.0) requires 16MB, and will
> also be very slow on just 16MB.
>
> The problem isn't actually economic ;), I just happen to collect
> various "vintage" computers and try to run operating systems on them.
> Indeed, you can find unexpensive Pentium-class computers. For instance,
> on ebay.de, there's a bunch of Pentium-II @ 233 MHz machines with 128
> MB RAM for 29 EUR.
>
> Anyway I'd be glad if I could have more RAM on this Deskpro 386s. :)
>
> Thank you,

In that case four options come to mind:

1) Generic board like the Everex Systems EV-159 ISA memory expansion up to
16M.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=172&item=6759695343&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW&tc=photo
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=74946&item=5164513694&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V&tc=photo

2) Find the compaq board that is for this model.

3) Stack extra memory chips on the back of the current chips. I have found
documation hard to find but you would need to figure how to address this
memory. goggle "piggyback chip memory expansion"

http://www.cling.gu.se/~cl3polof/vic20expansion/

http://www.webweavers.co.nz/system-80/hardware_mods.htm#memory_upgrade
(good ideas but wrong computer)

4) Replace current chips with bigger chips
http://aland.roarvgm.com/mods/1.html

Would think option 1 is the only one I would try, but I did stack chips in
my old color computer three or four high.
Guess you could also make your own expansion board but that would be a long
shot.
Happy hardware hacking ...

> Look here for the possible memory expansion using standard compaq options:

http://configurator.memorystock.com/result.asp?mn=Deskpro+386s&modelid=1489

http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.memorySearch&model_id=1489&memory_id=1790

Another not sure either of these would work, do you have a 1meg expansion
borad in your system and does it have a part number ?

> At boot time the machine says it has 2 MB.
> The Compaq Diagnostic diskette says there is 1 MB on the system board
> and 1 MB on the expansion board.

Guess you need the 4 meg expansion board and two of the 4 meg add on boards
to get to 13 meg max.
Didn't find them on the web, best bet to find some would be inside another
deskpro 386s.
If you find just the two daughter cards you would have 10meg max with the 1
meg expansion board you have now.

<snip>
> If you find just the two daughter cards you would have 10meg max with the
1
> meg expansion board you have now.

Think these are it but the picture is wrong, you could ask the seller for a
pic or if they are different from the pic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1481&item=6761005043&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

The price is also high. Hope he didn't list them because he read here that
you were looking, naw he would have listed the 4 meg expansion board too.

Its 2008 atm, so i am late..

what is the status for the vintage machines
if you download minix - you can install that
it looks a bit like linux -