Did I cripple the northbridge?

mojoman

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2003
Upgraded from 1.8Ghz 400MHz FSB to 2.4GHz 533MHz FSB on an MSI 6566E mainboard. No problem installing until.. overclocked to 2.8GHz and just before crash I got a windows message indicating there a problem with AGP controller. Wouldn't reboot or even get to post. I replaced the 1.8Ghz CPU and no probs. Checked the northbridge chipset and it looks pretty cooked. What do ya think?, did I cook the CPU or the northbridge????

svol

Champion
I would say the Northbridge as the P4 will clock down when overheating to prevent damage. And from the pics on MSI's website it looks like you have passive NorthBirdge cooling... with a higher FSB then 133MHz it can get pretty hot.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

Codinerx

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
Man that sucks. Is it possible to just get a replacement chip for the northbridge, or do you have to run out and buy a new mobo?

svol

Champion
I don't think you can buy them... and even if you could you would have to have some amazing solder skills to install it.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

chaotictech

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well msi is really good about rmaing mobos. I've sent two in and one was the same problem your having, I fried the northbridge, They replaces them with new mobos but it took about two week to get the new one's back. I know it isnt good news but way better than having to dish out more cash on a mobo.

If you ever stop learning, YOU'ER DEAD!!

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Does that board have AGP bus speed locks? if not it might be that the high AGP bus speed makes the bosrd think the AGP controller is dud. Try putting the 2.4 back in at stock speed.

Oh and BTW, buying that new processor was probably a waste of money because you may have been able to overclock your 1.8 to that speed with no probs.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>