Removing Bubbles? ! ?

magicpatel

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2002
Hi,

So after two days of hacking at a damaged radiator, i've finally installed (and got working) my innovatek watercooling solution.

My main question is how to remove bubbles from the circuit? I read some articles which all implied using the foam filter that came with my eheim pump. So i cut a piece off and placed it in the resovoir. Now what happens is after a hours worth of running, the water in the pipes turns cloudy because the air in the ciruit forms into hundreds.... no millions of tiny bubbles.

Not good! this is definately having an adverse effect on the cooling.

I dont want to submerge the entire resovoir and pump to remove the air because it involves me taking it all apart again!

any suggestions?

Oh, and how much do i fill the resovoir? above or below the inlet at the top? (innovatek resovoir)

Thanks in advance
Magic

<font color=blue> Life's too short to be boring... </font color=blue>

mjjohn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
You may not have enough water in the system if you have that much air in the tubes.

This is a quote from OCModshop.com

"Filling up the system is pretty easy, you should always use distilled water with any watercooling setup so if you don't have any run to your super market and get some. You should also use a funnel while filing up your reservoir so you don't spill all over the place. To fill it up just pour some water in until the reservoir is full and then plug the pump in. This will not be enough water to power the system so continue to fill the system until the reservoir is full and stays full. Now that you have your kit installed it is really important to test it without the system running to make sure there are no leaks. The best way to do this is after you are all done setting up your system and have it installed go ahead and plug the pump in with the computer off and let it run overnight just to make sure there are no leaks, put a paper towel around or under where the connections are so that you can tell if there is a leak. I tested my system for only about an hour and at that time I did find a leak on the radiator which means I needed to tighten it up a bit so that it wouldn't happen when I was actually using my computer."

I do not water cool myself but I have read that there are additives - wetting agents - that make the water wetter. Changing the structure of the water causes the molocules to combine more closely giving air a lesser chance to mix in.

Not sure of name or place of purchase for the wetting agents. I am sure someone here will know.

For it is not what is seen, but what is not seen. :eek:

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
The product you speek of is called Redline Waterwetter, you can find it at almost any automotive store, at least here in the US.

<font color=blue>...we are not responcible for any amount of idiocy you apply to our advice.<font color=blue>

mjjohn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
Yes, what Lonemagi said.
A link to an explanation of what it does and how it works.

http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/red_line_waterwetter.htm

This pertains to vehicles but the cpu water cooler is on the same principle. This stuff sounds like it would work well for any water cooling application. You just have to figure out the correct quantities.

For it is not what is seen, but what is not seen. :eek:

LCARS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2002
Getting rid of the air bubbles, yes, a tricky little task.

A) make sure the foam piece fills basically the whole resovoir, and that it covers the inlet hole at the top of the tank.

B) Fill the tank with as much water as possible. Always.

C) Check and top off the water level about once an hour until most of the bubbles have gone. Then top off the water about twice a day ofterwards until all the bubles are gone.

Yeah, it's tedious. I'd personally go with retrofitting a larger metal tank into the system. But thats how you do it with the stock system.

svol

Champion
I use it in my watercooler and it is doing great... it only stinks like hell so don't spill it.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek: