Using Nokia 3589i Phone as modem - Extra Charge?

Last response: in Network Providers
April 21, 2005 11:59:24 PM

Hi All,
We're taking a long car trip down to FL and seeing as it's during the
weekend when our America's Choice plan has free weekend minutes, I was
thinking we could buy the DKU-5 USB adapter to use our Nokia 3589i phone as
a wireless modem hooked to our laptop, so to speak, connecting at 14.4 I
guess it is... Question is, assuming this all works, is this covered as
regular free "voice" minutes, or could there be an extra charge (assuming
we're not roaming down I-95)? I would assume there wouldn't be an extra
charge... Curious if any other VZW users have used their phones as modems
when they just have to be online without subscribing to their hi-speed
plans...

Thanks for any input,
Scott in NH
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 1:29:37 AM

In news:44-dncnyFoLAo_XfRVn-jw@metrocastcablevision.com,
Scott Nagle <nosoupforyou@someplace.net> typed:
> Hi All,
> We're taking a long car trip down to FL and seeing as it's during the
> weekend when our America's Choice plan has free weekend minutes, I was
> thinking we could buy the DKU-5 USB adapter to use our Nokia 3589i
> phone as a wireless modem hooked to our laptop, so to speak,
> connecting at 14.4 I guess it is... Question is, assuming this all
> works, is this covered as regular free "voice" minutes, or could
> there be an extra charge (assuming we're not roaming down I-95)? I
> would assume there wouldn't be an extra charge... Curious if any
> other VZW users have used their phones as modems when they just have
> to be online without subscribing to their hi-speed plans...
>
> Thanks for any input,
> Scott in NH

I have AC1 and a while back I was on Extended Network (Alltel) in western
Kansas on a weekend, connected my laptop to my VX4400 and was able to get on
the internet with qnc/qnc. There were no additional charges (only minutes -
free on the weekend).
April 22, 2005 11:11:13 AM

Scott Nagle <nosoupforyou@someplace.net> wrote:
: Hi All,
: We're taking a long car trip down to FL and seeing as it's during the
: weekend when our America's Choice plan has free weekend minutes, I was
: thinking we could buy the DKU-5 USB adapter to use our Nokia 3589i phone as
: a wireless modem hooked to our laptop, so to speak, connecting at 14.4 I
: guess it is... Question is, assuming this all works, is this covered as
: regular free "voice" minutes, or could there be an extra charge (assuming
: we're not roaming down I-95)? I would assume there wouldn't be an extra
: charge... Curious if any other VZW users have used their phones as modems
: when they just have to be online without subscribing to their hi-speed
: plans...

I think you will have no issue dialing into your ISP with your cell
phone (except speed). Those should be counted just as voice minutes.
But most people who put their laptops on the internet with their cell
phones use Verizon's 1X data service to get much higher
connection speeds with America's Choice.

Your AC package includes something called "National Access" that gives
you access to 1X. Technically free data (as voice minutes) is not
guaranteed in your AC contract and Verizon could start charging you
for it at any time, but in practice they haven't. But they could
start next month.

I've used my 3589i and DKU-5 cable many times to use my laptop on the
internet while traveling (and never been charged). Connection quality
varies - it can be very slow at times and fast enough at others. It's
still faster using 1X than dialing into my ISP at 19.2K, and it's good
enough in a pinch.

What you want to do to get on 1X in your modem setup is setup the
phone to dial "#777", use <your-wireless-number>@vzw3g.com as your
username and the three letters "vzw" as your password.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----