Wanted: Cool PC with minimal noise

DanW

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2003
Okay, this marks the begining of my cooling research for a PC I will probably build in the next year or so. I never thought I'd actually have to research cooling, but here I am!

Right now, I have my eyes on a Thermaltake case, the Xaser III with a windowed side. I want to have a window so that I would be more encouraged to clean the dust out of my system more often.

But today's systems present cooling questions.

First, let me say that I will NOT be overclocking. I plan to have an Athalon ~2800, and Raedon All-In-Wonder 9700 Pro. The case itself will accept seven fans. I'll also have a hard drive cooler for a 7200rpm hard drive, the ThermalTake so-called silent power supplies, the fan on the video card, and the fan on the processor. All in all, 11 fans.

So, here's my questions. Am I headed in the wrong direction with Thermaltake? Is there a better cooling company that makes quieter fans? Or should I just investigate the individual parts, and get the quietest fan types from the companies which make the quietest fans?

I really hope Toms Hardware will do an article on which parts to get for a quiet PC.

On the other hand, I've also considered building a large box to put my computer case in. Of course, I'd have fans with vents into and out of the box to ensure the box doesn't just trap heat. And if I decided to do that, I'd also get an ugly generic lookign case that has plenty of fan ports. No point in spending a couple hundred on a cool looking Thermaltake case if I'm just gonna hide it, eh?

Has anybody gone the box route to quiet their PC? Any other interesting and innovative methods of subduing fan noise? Hmmm. I suppose I could just get a monitor extension cable, and wireless mouse, keyboard, joystick, etc., and just put the computer in the next room...

-----
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DanW on 02/03/03 04:51 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

NE_Corridor

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
If you're not overclocking, then why buy a big case that's designed for overclockers? If your quest is to build a quiet pc, then start with a case that allows you to install one inflowing fan and one outflowing fan. Choose a quiet fan from panaflo, papst, nmb, etc. Pick up a quiet power supply like the enermax whisper series. Add a quiet HSF-something like a zalman or ocz. You can also replace the stock cooling on your 9700 with that huge sandwiching zalman heatsink-the zm-80a. Watercooling is quiet also, but overkill for what you need.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by NE_Corridor on 02/05/03 01:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Codinerx

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
It doesn't sound like you will have much of a problem.. I've got 8 fans in my antec case,excluding the cpu fan, and it is extremely quiet. Then again, I suppose it also depends on your idea of a quiet computer. One thing you may want to look into is a foam liner that goes on the inside of the case. I don't know a whole lot about it, but supposedly it muffles noise and doesn't trap heat. Good luck with your quest!

G

I haven't done this yet, but I've convinced myself that my PC could be quieter if I sprayed the inside walls with automotive undercoating. It is supposed to damp road noise, I am hoping it will do something for computer noise too.

tuesday630

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2002
Check this link. It's a good company, and they have a nice collection of items for quite PC.

<A HREF="http://www.directron.com/silence.html" target="_new">http://www.directron.com/silence.html</A>

---There may be more than one way to do it, but why would anyone want to remove the fur from a feline?---