CPU temperature...

devilcore

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2003
I have an athlon xp 2400+(stock speed) with swiftech Swiftech MCX462+ and thermaltake smartfan 2(full speed). The temperature that I get from the bios is something between 35-36C when the computer is in idle. The temperature is somewhat higher than the one I read in most reviews,like 31-33C. My aluminum case has proper cooling;2 intake fans and one exhaust. The motherboard(ASUS A7N8X Deluxe) temperature in idle is about 26-27C.
Is this higher temperature caused by an improper installation or inaccuracy of the thermal sensor?
what do you people think..

svol

Champion
I would say because of an inaccuracy. Your temp is already great... and reinstalling the HSF will possible result in no better temps.
Every mobo has his own readings... you can't compare them with eachother.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
Unless your case is not compatible for this, try having two exhaust and one intake fan... From what I understand, it is more beneficial to have more exhaust then intake.. also, you can get air flow and nature to work for you, because if you have two exhaust, and one intake, the exhaust fans will spew out the air, and as a reaction, the air will have no choice but to be sucked in through the intake holes at the front of the case. Ain't gravity great! As an expermiment, try it! Even if you are cooler by one or two more degrees, what is the loss?

Rob

<b><font color=red>Nothin like a Pentium II furiously churning out a blistering 0.8 FPS on 3D Mark 2001!!!</font color=red></b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
God man... your worried about sub 40C temps???
chill out!

Temp reading are VERY approximate anyway.
ive had one mobo cpu combo that crashed at 50C, yet another that is still good up to 86C!

P.S. im running a mcx-462 with smartfan2 as well. tbredA xp1700 @ 1833mhz & 1.7v.
I run it with the temp sensor controlling the fan speed. Full speed is overkill & too noisy.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

Your temps are excellent already, you didn't mention what thermal compound you use, I'm pretty sure the tests were done using Artic Silver II or III, which will give better conduction, at least from my own tests it will. However with the temps you're running, <b>GO FOR IT MAN</b>

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.