Sign in with
Your question

OverClocking The Soyo Dragon Ultra BLACK...Problem

Last response: in Overclocking
February 4, 2003 2:32:05 PM

Hi guys, I am building a machine and having some problems... I was wondering if you could help... Lemme list the parts im using first..

These are all new

ThermalTake Xaser II Case with 350Watt TTGI PSU /and 5 case fans
AMD XP 2100+ Cpu
MAxtor 80 gig Drive
SoundBlaster Live
MSI CD-RW
Radeon 9000 128M
Windows XP
Volcano 9 Cpu Cooler

Let me start of by saying my Goal is to O/C it to 2.00 Ghz...which Ive already done and had it stable in Windows......I ran Sisoft Sandra Burn-IN with no lockups, and 3DMark2002 with no problems....its just when i REBOOT or shut down then power up is the problem..

So Far it only does this problem after i pass 1.9Ghz..... and it still does the mystery Overheating problem im about to explain but not as bad.

Sisoft Sandra is reporting that the "Pci / AUX Temp" is overheating ... What Part of the computer is this and why does it Fluxuate so fast? It goes from 15c to 64c in less then 20-30 seconds.... This temp. is also listed in MotherBoard Monitor 5 , I thought it was CPU temp first but it changes too quickly...

Soyo's HW Monitor and SiSoft indicate the CPU NEVER goes over 40c ... Its always Cool, The Bios says this too...

ITs just this unknown temp that flux's...

------------ The Error That Occurs.

After I've ran it overclocked for awhile and shut it down it wont POST again until I reset the CMOS, Is something happening in there that is causing this problem?

it goes.... BEEP .....BEEP.... and on the final single beep when you think its going to post it goes BEEEEEEEEEEP, and just sits there.... no post, no nothing...just everything running with a blank screen.

Any Help here? It doesnt sound like a CPU cooling issue, is there some where Im missing to cool here?
February 4, 2003 3:54:52 PM

That fluctuating temp is probably a non existing thermal diode... you see this a lot with all kind of motherboards.

As for the other problem... is your BIOS battery OK? Does Windows shutdown the computer correctly?

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek: 
February 4, 2003 4:34:18 PM

Battery Seems Fine, No problems with it so far.

Orignally I only had the FSB set to 150 to make it 1.95

Now i put the FSB to 133 the CPU to PCI Divide to /4 and the Multi to 15x

The temp is still going nutty but the Rebooting POST problem seems to be gone....

So Far I have it from 1.7 to 2.12Ghz And it is rocksolid

Did SiSoft and 3D MArk, Defragged it and no rebooting problems...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by OverClockFerret on 02/04/03 01:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2003 4:55:55 AM

Hmm, perhaps its a color problem? Black absorbs heat, silver reflects heat...maybe you should have gotten one of their silver boards? LOL j/k!

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>
February 8, 2003 10:16:17 AM

Just ignore that temp... it is 99% sure it is a falsee temp reading. I had that too on several other boards.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek: 
February 8, 2003 10:17:42 AM

Uhm... I now that your j/k but: black may be the best heat adsorper... it also will send out the most heat radiation when it is hot. So in theory black will cool best unless you place it in open sun.

!