Bootcamp major performance loss - Resolved

Anselan

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
I'm having some major issues with my computer. I'm running Win 7, on a fully upgraded Macbook Pro Retina. (I'll post all the specs at the bottom)

Up until earlier today, everything was running swimmingly. Even though I'd installed new video drivers (306.97) I hadn't restarted in about a week, and I'd not booted into the Mac OS in the last few weeks.

I had some photoshop work to do on the Mac side, so I finally restarted. After I was finished I launched back into Windows to play games with my friends and found all of my games were running like crap. I went from a solid 60fps on Guild Wars 2 down to 8fps. I don't even get consistent frame rates on League of Legends anymore.

No Windows updates ran when I restarted. But when I was in the Mac OS I copied over most of my files and did run a system update over there. (Not sure if that would come into play or not, as there were no firmware updates or anything of the sort.)

I tried rolling back my video drivers to the ones previously before the restart (306.23), and the performance hit continued.

Anyone have a clue? I'm kinda at a loss at this point, and I'm tempted just to back things up and wipe it all. But I really hate doing that.

Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
512GB Flash Storage - Partitioned
*187GB Windows drive (23.7 GB free)
*277GB Mac drive (91.4 GB free)
GeForce GT 650M
*Driver version 9.18.13.697

Not sure what else you guys might need. But any help would be awesome. Thanks!

TLDR: Restarted, FPS on Games tanked, no idea why

hateborne

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

First, are you running BootCamp or some other utility?

Second, eww Apple.

Third, have you checked the Windows task manager to see if there is any DISGUSTINGLY bloated process? Is there anything eating up chunks of your processor/memory?

Fourth, are you actually restarting? 10.7 has a tendency to autosave everything before shutdown. Even then, it doesn't always shutdown. It does that "half and half" garbage.

Let me know if things improve.

-Hate

Anselan

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
1) I'm running BootCamp.

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

3) I did check the task manager, everything was fine.

4) I'm certain I was restarting, when it switches between Mac OS and Windows (and gives the bootup noise) it's usually a pretty good sign. :)

5) After reinstalling Windows I figured out it was an SMC issue, so the resolution is:
-Shut down the computer.
-Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
-On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
-Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
-Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Thanks for the reply man, I appreciate it (even if it came a bit too late).