Open car door via cell phone

Last response: in Network Providers
April 22, 2005 5:28:30 PM

I know this has been discussed before on this forum. I'm not asking if
it can be done or not, I already know it can't. What I'm asking is:
"Why not?".

This subject came up last night, and one guy was swearing that his
buddy who wouldn't lie, told him he did it. In looking for a rebuttal
on urban legends, I came across their explanation as to why it can't
happen. Their reason is because the cell phone and the key fob xmitter
operate on different frequencies, implying that if they both worked on
the same frequency, it would work.

Isn't the real reason why it won't work is because the mouthpiece on
the phone only responds to sound waves, not radio waves? Even if cell
phones and car openers both operated on the same frequency, how would
the xmitter's rf signal ever be picked up by the phone?

grant
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 5:28:31 PM

Grant Baxter wrote:
> I know this has been discussed before on this forum. I'm
> not asking if it can be done or not, I already know it
> can't. What I'm asking is: "Why not?".
>
> This subject came up last night, and one guy was swearing
> that his buddy who wouldn't lie, told him he did it. In
> looking for a rebuttal on urban legends, I came across
> their explanation as to why it can't happen. Their reason
> is because the cell phone and the key fob xmitter operate
> on different frequencies, implying that if they both
> worked on the same frequency, it would work.
>
> Isn't the real reason why it won't work is because the
> mouthpiece on the phone only responds to sound waves, not
> radio waves? Even if cell phones and car openers both
> operated on the same frequency, how would the xmitter's
> rf signal ever be picked up by the phone?

(How to put this...) Talking to the car door is only the first
part. You have to be able to tell it the sooper secret code.

-Quick
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 5:28:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

You can open your car door with your cell phone. Here is how to do it:

1. Throw your cell phone as hard as you can at your car window.

2. Reach in through the broken car window and unlock the door.

3. Open the car door and get in.

4. Everyone will be impressed.

5. Call Verizon CS and get a replacement phone.

Works everytime

Bubba

> Grant Baxter wrote:
>> I know this has been discussed before on this forum. I'm
>> not asking if it can be done or not, I already know it
>> can't. What I'm asking is: "Why not?".
>>
>> This subject came up last night, and one guy was swearing
>> that his buddy who wouldn't lie, told him he did it. In
>> looking for a rebuttal on urban legends, I came across
>> their explanation as to why it can't happen. Their reason
>> is because the cell phone and the key fob xmitter operate
>> on different frequencies, implying that if they both
>> worked on the same frequency, it would work.
>>
>> Isn't the real reason why it won't work is because the
>> mouthpiece on the phone only responds to sound waves, not
>> radio waves? Even if cell phones and car openers both
>> operated on the same frequency, how would the xmitter's
>> rf signal ever be picked up by the phone?
>
> (How to put this...) Talking to the car door is only the first
> part. You have to be able to tell it the sooper secret code.
>
> -Quick

April 22, 2005 5:30:56 PM

Grant Baxter wrote:

> This subject came up last night, and one guy was swearing that his
> buddy who wouldn't lie, told him he did it. In looking for a rebuttal
> on urban legends, I came across their explanation as to why it can't
> happen. Their reason is because the cell phone and the key fob xmitter
> operate on different frequencies,

Correct.

> implying that if they both worked on
> the same frequency, it would work.

Not necessarily. Keyfobs generate a specific digital pulse that
represents a combination... if it were generic, then any key fob could
open any car door, and we'd have some serious theft problems. Cell
phones, however, don't ven operate using the same modulation scheme, so
even if you could get a cell phone and key fob on the same frequency,
the car would still largely view the signal coming from the cell phone
as gibberish.

> Isn't the real reason why it won't work is because the mouthpiece on
> the phone only responds to sound waves, not radio waves?

Yes, this is another reason.

Now, this is NOT to say that ulocking a car via cellphone is impossible.
Certainly OnStar has desmonstrated that remotely unlocking a vehicle
is possible. With the right equipment addons, it would be possible to
send the right text message to a car's cellular network receiver and
issue a command to unlock the doors.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
April 22, 2005 6:37:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

thanks for the info, bubba.

sprint, however, does not offer the car door option. the company tells me
it is not planning on this option in the near future.

i am told that every wireless provider has this option in Arkansas.

stick with verizon.

"Bubba DeBub" <BubbaDeBub@RideEmCowboy.com> wrote in message
You can open your car door with your cell phone. Here is how to do it:

1. Throw your cell phone as hard as you can at your car window.

2. Reach in through the broken car window and unlock the door.

3. Open the car door and get in.

4. Everyone will be impressed.

5. Call Verizon CS and get a replacement phone.

Works everytime

Bubba

> Grant Baxter wrote:
>> I know this has been discussed before on this forum. I'm
>> not asking if it can be done or not, I already know it
>> can't. What I'm asking is: "Why not?".
>>
>> This subject came up last night, and one guy was swearing
>> that his buddy who wouldn't lie, told him he did it. In
>> looking for a rebuttal on urban legends, I came across
>> their explanation as to why it can't happen. Their reason
>> is because the cell phone and the key fob xmitter operate
>> on different frequencies, implying that if they both
>> worked on the same frequency, it would work.
>>
>> Isn't the real reason why it won't work is because the
>> mouthpiece on the phone only responds to sound waves, not
>> radio waves? Even if cell phones and car openers both
>> operated on the same frequency, how would the xmitter's
>> rf signal ever be picked up by the phone?
>
> (How to put this...) Talking to the car door is only the first
> part. You have to be able to tell it the sooper secret code.
>
> -Quick

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 7:45:28 PM

I can do it.
I call OnStar and ask them to unlock my car doors for me.

"Grant Baxter" <grant@baxterfamily.org> wrote in message news:8guh61pcqefv2n2er3oe0ilbaddbbhek06@4ax.com...
>I know this has been discussed before on this forum. I'm not asking if
> it can be done or not, I already know it can't. What I'm asking is:
> "Why not?".
>

> grant

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 9:10:33 PM

Bubba DeBub wrote:
> You can open your car door with your cell phone. Here is how to do it:
>
> 1. Throw your cell phone as hard as you can at your car window.
>
> 2. Reach in through the broken car window and unlock the door.
>
> 3. Open the car door and get in.
>
> 4. Everyone will be impressed.
>
> 5. Call Verizon CS and get a replacement phone.
>
> Works everytime

Unfortunately, most cell phones are so cheaply constructed of soft
plastic these days the phone actually disintegrates against the glass,
without so much as leaving a scratch on the window. :)

I should know; My poor Treo 650 gets a new blemish, dent, scratch or
(now) crack on the screen if you so much as breathe on it. :p

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
April 22, 2005 9:10:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

It appears that you guys have not seen my old Radio Shack brick phone from
the late 1980s. It weighs about 2 pounds and is made of metal and it works
on Verizon in analog mode. It could destroy an Army Tank!!! What am I gonna
do if they get rid of analog? My brick phone will not work anymore!!

Bubba

"Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
> Bubba DeBub wrote:
>> You can open your car door with your cell phone. Here is how to do it:
>>
>> 1. Throw your cell phone as hard as you can at your car window.
>>
>> 2. Reach in through the broken car window and unlock the door.
>>
>> 3. Open the car door and get in.
>>
>> 4. Everyone will be impressed.
>>
>> 5. Call Verizon CS and get a replacement phone.
>>
>> Works everytime
>
> Unfortunately, most cell phones are so cheaply constructed of soft plastic
> these days the phone actually disintegrates against the glass, without so
> much as leaving a scratch on the window. :)
>
> I should know; My poor Treo 650 gets a new blemish, dent, scratch or (now)
> crack on the screen if you so much as breathe on it. :p
>
> --
> E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
> Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 9:12:49 PM

Bubba DeBub wrote:
> You can open your car door with your cell phone. Here is how to do it:
>
> 1. Throw your cell phone as hard as you can at your car window.
>
> 2. Reach in through the broken car window and unlock the door.
>
> 3. Open the car door and get in.
>
> 4. Everyone will be impressed.
>
> 5. Call Verizon CS and get a replacement phone.

Unless maybe you are a major-league baseball pitcher, I don't see how
one would be able throw a 4 or 5 ounce phone hard enough to break a car
window. Destroy the phone, yes, but car windows are TOUGH. I don't
intend to verify my conjecture, however.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 9:12:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I am a really big/strong guy and I could do it. Care to volunteer your cell
phone? :-)

Bubba

"CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
> Bubba DeBub wrote:
>> You can open your car door with your cell phone. Here is how to do it:
>>
>> 1. Throw your cell phone as hard as you can at your car window.
>>
>> 2. Reach in through the broken car window and unlock the door.
>>
>> 3. Open the car door and get in.
>>
>> 4. Everyone will be impressed.
>>
>> 5. Call Verizon CS and get a replacement phone.
>
> Unless maybe you are a major-league baseball pitcher, I don't see how one
> would be able throw a 4 or 5 ounce phone hard enough to break a car
> window. Destroy the phone, yes, but car windows are TOUGH. I don't intend
> to verify my conjecture, however.
April 22, 2005 9:12:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

CharlesH <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote:

> Bubba DeBub wrote:
> > You can open your car door with your cell phone. Here is how to do it:
> >
> > 1. Throw your cell phone as hard as you can at your car window.
> >
> > 2. Reach in through the broken car window and unlock the door.
> >
> > 3. Open the car door and get in.
> >
> > 4. Everyone will be impressed.
> >
> > 5. Call Verizon CS and get a replacement phone.
>
> Unless maybe you are a major-league baseball pitcher, I don't see how
> one would be able throw a 4 or 5 ounce phone hard enough to break a car
> window. Destroy the phone, yes, but car windows are TOUGH. I don't
> intend to verify my conjecture, however.

Well, I guess the saftest way to open the car door is calling Lock Smith
with cell phone <g>

I agree with you that throwing cell phone at door window won't break it.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 10:49:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Bubba DeBub" <BubbaDeBub@RideEmCowboy.com> wrote:

>I am a really big/strong guy and I could do it. Care to volunteer your cell
>phone? :-)

Sure! And your car. I have an old NEC cell that should do the trick.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 5:31:58 AM

Cool, but how long do you think you will be able to recharge the
battery? Replacement parts might be hard to find. Talk times were way
short. It is very insecure, as it may not even have analog
authentication.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 5:31:59 AM

"You are correct, however, it is a lot of fun take to the local steakhouse
restaurant and set it on the table. Gets a lot of reactions from folks.

Bubba

"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Cool, but how long do you think you will be able to recharge the battery?
> Replacement parts might be hard to find. Talk times were way short. It
> is very insecure, as it may not even have analog authentication.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 6:04:13 AM

PS It will only work on verizon in analog mode where verizon has analog.
Here it would have to be cingular or uscellular.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 4:49:26 PM

> I am a really big/strong guy and I could do it. Care to volunteer
your cell
> phone? :-)
>
> Bubba

Not with one of the girlyman "women's cosmetic compacts" that pass for
flip phones today.

You might be able to do it with an old Nokia 61xx series phone with
one of the large high capacity batteries installed.

I was on a business trip with a former boss several years ago. We were
trying to locate each other in a hotel complex without success - no
service or dropped calls. My 4 year old Nokia 6160 was acting up, it'd
been dropped too many times.

I walked outside and saw her standing about 100' away across the plaza
trying to call me. I yelled and she turned and looked as I threw my
phone at her. It skidded across the bricks, hit the curb at her feet
and flew into 3 pieces. I walked over, picked it up and snapped it
back together and it still worked except the screen was broken. She
thought that it was pretty funny!

BTW, car windshields and some rear windows are made of Laminated
Safety Glass which has 1 or more layers of tough, flexible plastic to
prevent the glass from shattering.

Side windows on cars are usually made of specially treated glass that
breaks into small pieces. If you hit it at the right angle you could
get lucky. I've had several occasions were I needed to break a car
side window, it's pretty tough to do even with a hammer!
--
Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)
Anonymous

> It appears that you guys have not seen my old Radio Shack brick
phone from
> the late 1980s. It weighs about 2 pounds and is made of metal and it
works
> on Verizon in analog mode. It could destroy an Army Tank!!! What am
I gonna
> do if they get rid of analog? My brick phone will not work anymore!!

I have several old Fujitsu 3 Watt "Transportable" analog phones. They
only worked with Cellular1 service. They have handsets like a wireless
phone with really well made expandable cords that survived 8 years of
use without any problems. The carrying cases contain the transponder
and a 7 lb. lead acid battery twice the size of a motorcycle battery!
--
Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:41:13 PM

>[re opening a car door via a cell phone]
>
>Isn't the real reason why it won't work is because the mouthpiece on
>the phone only responds to sound waves, not radio waves? Even if cell
>phones and car openers both operated on the same frequency, how would
>the xmitter's rf signal ever be picked up by the phone?

The real reason is that the car door receiver responds not only to a
frequency, but to a digital code sent via that frequency. You have no
way of sending that code with your cell phone. (This is also why I
can't use my car remote to open someone else's car.)

-Joel Hoffman

Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.exc.com/
April 24, 2005 6:41:14 PM

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" wrote:

> >[re opening a car door via a cell phone]
> >
> >Isn't the real reason why it won't work is because the mouthpiece on
> >the phone only responds to sound waves, not radio waves? Even if cell
> >phones and car openers both operated on the same frequency, how would
> >the xmitter's rf signal ever be picked up by the phone?
>
> The real reason is that the car door receiver responds not only to a
> frequency, but to a digital code sent via that frequency. You have no
> way of sending that code with your cell phone. (This is also why I
> can't use my car remote to open someone else's car.)

Back, when I was a kid, we (me and the other science nerds) built a
variable-frequency transmitter that opened everyone's electric garage
door in the neighborhood.

*We* were the reason that technology improved! <g>

Notan
Anonymous
February 20, 2010 7:22:56 AM

I know for a fact that it is possible.
I am going to DeVry University and i saw a senior project do just that. not only for garage doors but for unlocking doors also (though you have to change the knob to an electric powered one).

-DeVry Student
!