Purpose of raising voltage?

Mykodacon

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2003
What is the purpose of raising the core voltage? Right now mine is set at 155 volts. I have a p4 3.06 and I OC'd it to 3299 and raised the voltage to 165. My pc mark scores dropped by 5000 points. My CPU temp is 94.1 F - when I ran it at that it went to 105 F. My mobo is 77.1 F. When I set everything back to default - it ran much better. What am I doing wrong?

Mike

svol

Champion
Well the whole purpose of increasing the VCore is supplying more power to your CPU so it can run stable on higher speeds... but increasing the voltage will always result in increasing temps.
Anyway it looks like your memory timings where lowered because your FSB increased... this can results in much less memory performance.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yep. increasing the voltage is usually necessary to obtain decent overclocks, though going too far can lead to overheating and cpu burnout :smile:

i read some technical piece where it says the increased voltage increases the pulse spike sizes, reducing the chance of bit rot and other wired stuff.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
Mike,
One thing you need to be aware of is higher memory timings will result in lower system performance...you will be better off with lower cas latencies than a higher clock rate on your cpu...BUT...having both will definately benefit you performance wise...
ALSO look at your memory clock...what memory divider are you using?...a higher memory overclock will also give you better scores over using a lower memory divider and a higher cpu clock rate. A good mix between memory overclocking and cpu clock is a good suggestion...as always make sure you are properly cooling your cpu...sometimes stock cpu heatsinks will not be enough to overclock your cpu to its max potential. Case cooling is also an essiential to get the heat removed by the cpu fan out of the case.

<font color=green>Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza<font color=green>