ICMP Type:5, Code:5

Hi guys,

In the security log of my router I see many times:

**ICMP Redirect from WAN** 80.28.250.121->>82.50.3.133, Type:5, Code:5
(82.50.3.133 was my dinamic IP)

I found info about codes 0 to 3 here
http://www.iana.org/assignments/icmp-parameters but nothing about code 5.

My router seems to go to "sleep mode" after few hours of work, nothig can
pass through it and I must reset it (or to disable firewall) to make it
work again.
I can only ping but nothing else (no emule connection, no web, no mail, no
news ...)

May this attack (and this message) be the cause of my problem ?

The router is a "GetNet Wireless AP Router", same as BR6104WB by Edimax.

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about icmp type code

    In message <UgFoc.247831$rM4.10580678@news4.tin.it>, jFk_2
    <spam_your_sister@aol.com> writes
    >Hi guys,
    >
    >In the security log of my router I see many times:
    >
    >**ICMP Redirect from WAN** 80.28.250.121->>82.50.3.133, Type:5, Code:5
    >(82.50.3.133 was my dinamic IP)
    >
    >I found info about codes 0 to 3 here
    >http://www.iana.org/assignments/icmp-parameters but nothing about code 5.
    >
    >My router seems to go to "sleep mode" after few hours of work, nothig can
    >pass through it and I must reset it (or to disable firewall) to make it
    >work again.
    >I can only ping but nothing else (no emule connection, no web, no mail, no
    >news ...)
    >
    >May this attack (and this message) be the cause of my problem ?
    >
    >The router is a "GetNet Wireless AP Router", same as BR6104WB by Edimax.
    >
    >Thanks

    According to "Internetworking with TCP/IP" Vol 1 by Douglas E Comer, for
    the ICMP protocol, type field 5 means "redirect (change a route)", and
    code value 5 means "source route failed".

    Brian

Firewalls Routers Security Networking