ICMP Type:5, Code:5

Last response: in Networking
a b 8 Security
May 13, 2004 11:16:04 AM

Hi guys,

In the security log of my router I see many times:

**ICMP Redirect from WAN** 80.28.250.121->>82.50.3.133, Type:5, Code:5
(82.50.3.133 was my dinamic IP)

I found info about codes 0 to 3 here
http://www.iana.org/assignments/icmp-parameters but nothing about code 5.

My router seems to go to "sleep mode" after few hours of work, nothig can
pass through it and I must reset it (or to disable firewall) to make it
work again.
I can only ping but nothing else (no emule connection, no web, no mail, no
news ...)

May this attack (and this message) be the cause of my problem ?

The router is a "GetNet Wireless AP Router", same as BR6104WB by Edimax.

Thanks

More about : icmp type code

June 21, 2004 10:54:37 PM

In message <UgFoc.247831$rM4.10580678@news4.tin.it>, jFk_2
<spam_your_sister@aol.com> writes
>Hi guys,
>
>In the security log of my router I see many times:
>
>**ICMP Redirect from WAN** 80.28.250.121->>82.50.3.133, Type:5, Code:5
>(82.50.3.133 was my dinamic IP)
>
>I found info about codes 0 to 3 here
>http://www.iana.org/assignments/icmp-parameters but nothing about code 5.
>
>My router seems to go to "sleep mode" after few hours of work, nothig can
>pass through it and I must reset it (or to disable firewall) to make it
>work again.
>I can only ping but nothing else (no emule connection, no web, no mail, no
>news ...)
>
>May this attack (and this message) be the cause of my problem ?
>
>The router is a "GetNet Wireless AP Router", same as BR6104WB by Edimax.
>
>Thanks

According to "Internetworking with TCP/IP" Vol 1 by Douglas E Comer, for
the ICMP protocol, type field 5 means "redirect (change a route)", and
code value 5 means "source route failed".

Brian
!