sygate message about kernell32.dll

Last response: in Networking
Share
May 13, 2004 1:38:16 PM

For a few day's I've installed Sygate firewall (free and latest version)
instead of Zonealarm (free). Many times I get the question from Sygate that
kernell32.dll tries to make connection with internet. I don't know if I kan
allow this, I don't know if it has to do with a virus or whatever. Does
anybody know what this is for kind of document or program (the
kernell32.dll, foun in c:\windows\system) and what I have do do with it?
And do I have to give permission to make contact with internet or not??
With Zone alarm I didn't get this message.
May 13, 2004 9:09:04 PM

In article <c7v8vc$j3s$1@reader08.wxs.nl>, mukea@hotmail.com says...
> For a few day's I've installed Sygate firewall (free and latest version)
> instead of Zonealarm (free). Many times I get the question from Sygate that
> kernell32.dll tries to make connection with internet. I don't know if I kan
> allow this, I don't know if it has to do with a virus or whatever. Does
> anybody know what this is for kind of document or program (the
> kernell32.dll, foun in c:\windows\system) and what I have do do with it?
> And do I have to give permission to make contact with internet or not??
> With Zone alarm I didn't get this message.

Hi, I'm running Win98 and Sygate Pro v5.5 connected to internet
(no lan). I have always had kernel32.dll blocked in the application
rules. Every time I connect to internet, I get a Sygate popup
window stating that kernel32.dll is blocked. The popup window can
be blocked if its annoying but I always like to see when applications
are blocked or when port scans, etc are in progress.
My understanding is that kernel32.dll is used only in networking
and is not needed with a single computer hookup.
Casey
p.s. I have remote ports 135-139 in/out blocked in advanced rules.
Some of these ports are used by kernel32.dll when it is not blocked.
May 14, 2004 2:43:21 AM

I have a network with two computers, is that the reason of the message?
and can I give sygate automatically permission for this file to connect? is
that safe enough?

!