Sign in with
Your question

Volcano 11 opinions

Last response: in Overclocking
February 11, 2003 1:39:23 AM

Guys, wanted to know your opinions on Thermaltake's new Volcano 11 heatsink... Just found-out it existed today quite frankly, and was givin' it a quick look-over. Whats so great about the "X" design - I don't get it, is it supposed to be cool or useful? Anyone get a chance to try one-out yet ? Also, price seems nice ($35 @ ... f*ck, I don't remember where).

<b>Moore's Law:</b> <i>Processor speed doubles every 12 to 18 months.</i>
<b>OverClocker's Law:</b> <i>My processor went that fast 12 to 18 months ago.</i>

More about : volcano opinions

February 11, 2003 2:34:06 AM

doesn't look bad to me, the 7+ was popular enough, so it doesn't seem like they can go down really

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...
February 11, 2003 3:14:02 AM

even the thermaltake site says it's not available until late Feb early march. I suspect they will launch the 11 with the Peltier style cooler they have coming out too. Forgot the name of it.

Basically it just looks like an updated 7+ with a new grill, and the smartfan2 attached.

I'm more interested in seeing reviews on their Peltier cooler when they become available, although I heard in the neighborhood of 200USD for it.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 11, 2003 3:54:06 AM

Why the peltier? That thing would have to dissipate a lot of heat on the other end, you practially would need 2 Volcao 11's and 80mm fans to get rid of the heat. No one I know even considered the Spark 7, I doubt the 11 would do any better in peltier format. Remember, thermoelectric peltiers only move heat, they don't actually dissipate the heat

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...
February 11, 2003 4:31:52 AM

AS long as my cpu is nice and chilly, I can remove case heat, couple of big 120's pulling the heat out the back of the case, nice and quite, but creating big suction.

have you seen this so called water cooler within a heatsink??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=
3401436219&category=15919

still trying to figure out how the coolant is actually cooled, I don't see an actual radiator. Pretty interesting though, be nice to see where cooling is in another year or two.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."
February 11, 2003 6:16:43 AM

actually dude, the way that thermaltake puts a spin on pelltier cooling is by having a controller and power supply for the unit install in one of the PCI slots. this controller measures core and ambient temperature as well as humidity to make sure that the pelletier never goes below 0*C so that there's never any danger of condesation, all while the pelletier element is regulated in the same way to make sure that it doesn't create more heat than it transfers for dissipation.

<b>OverClocker's Law:</b> <i>My processor went that fast 12 to 18 months ago.</i>
February 11, 2003 4:06:55 PM

That is not true as condensation will also occur at 10C.

And the peltier element will put out twice the heat it adsorbs at the cold side. for a CPU running idle that will already be 110W.
Do I have to repeat peltier basics again to show that peltier HSF combo is a waiste of money?

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek: 
February 11, 2003 4:08:09 PM

The thing on the top is the radiator... but it is pretty small.

Anyway at full speed your temps will still be atleast 50C with any peltier HSF cooling. You just need watercooling to cool peltiers made for CPU cooling.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek: 
February 11, 2003 7:53:51 PM

no svol, you don't need to repeat it again, even i've heard it one too many times so please, spare me ;)  i'm just reporting on what thermaltake is sayin about that unit, so :p 

February 12, 2003 12:01:09 AM

no svollie, your good at explaining it.

<b>Anyone claiming they can see the difference
between 450 and 500 FPS in Quake3 deserves to
be severely beaten with a rock. :smile: </b>
February 12, 2003 4:38:02 PM

Don't get me wrong, but I would like to read about this subject/problems associated. Can you give me any link? Or better should I look old threadsThanks?

Knowledge is always welcome!

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:
February 12, 2003 11:19:36 PM

yeah, it should be in this forum, a page or two back.

February 13, 2003 2:28:29 AM

As A note! Ok for one,,Most of the stuff you post 0n,,You have never used."You just Tread out, what you have Read" Anyone can do that.Ive been around Longer than you have to see your kind 2 times over.For the second, The "Real Veterans" post on personal experience.Your not One of them. And with that point,,"Your the Newb" I only Post on what Ive used,Or done. Or to Bash Load Mouths Like You.
February 13, 2003 10:12:29 PM

ooo dem be fightin words dem be LOL :smile:

February 14, 2003 4:25:58 PM

If you didn't found any explanation why peltiersd used on CPU cooled with air wont do... I'm in a good mood today (finally my waterblock is finished and leak-free) and I'm willing to tell it again.

February 17, 2003 6:49:04 AM

Thanks svol!

But I've done my homework. I look at posts 3 months ago and I think I have a better idea. But it's curios I always associated peltiers with extreme cooling but NOT with watercooling. Probably there are more than one guy out there that combined peltier + HSF.

Anyway, if you feel inspired feel free to explain the physics' laws involved. It's always good to take a lesson!

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:
February 21, 2003 12:49:25 PM

Ok... I'm in a good mood (again) because it is vacation and I finished my graduation project about thermo-electrics so I will try to explain in English. (I'm Dutch... but all info I read for my project was English so that should do).

First I will explain why people associate peltiers with extreem cooling:
1. They think peltiers are coolers, while they are just heat-pumps without any working parts.
2. Peltiers that are cooled enough indeed reach sub-zero temps... but only the old slow CPUs can be cooled with a HSF+peltier combo.

Now how does they work:
Peltiers work according to the peltier-effect. This effect means that if you got a closed surcuit of 2 different conducting materials that are connected with eachother at the end of the materials (ie wire ends) and you apply eletric power over the closed suircuit one pair of wires will get colder, while the other gets warmer.

Now how is a peltier builded:
A peltier is made from n-type and p-type semi-conductors that are stacked together like this:
<pre>+ ---- ---- ---- ----- -
P N P N P N
---- ---- ----
</pre><p>In this setup the (copper) connectors between the pieces are the first material, while the semiconductors are the second. Combined with electric flow they give the peltier-effect.

Want more details about how n- and p-type semiconductors work?

February 23, 2003 12:24:10 AM

Quote:
1. They think peltiers are coolers, while they are just heat-pumps without any working parts

I think you mean moving parts.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.
February 23, 2003 11:14:32 AM

Yes... oh man, I'm mkaing to much errors in English the last days.

!