Need ta git me a quiet fan (60mm or 80mm)

stitch

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2002
A while ago I got a Thermalright SK6 for my wee Athlon 1400, which came with a Delta Decibel-o-matic hair dryer fan. Appalled by the noise, I replaced it with a 60mm Sunon, which was not too bad, but now grinds horribly and needs replacing.

So I'm looking for a good 60mm fan that is also quiet. I've heard great things about the Panaflo fans, but I can't find a 60mm panaflo which also has RPM monitoring--which, given that it's a CPU fan, I would like. It's not a make-or-break if the Panaflos are that much better than other fans, but it's a consideration.

I have heard that you can clip an 80mm fan onto the SK6 if you cheat a bit, so the 80mm fans are in the mix as well.

Any recommendations? If I could find a 60mm panaflo with RPM monitoring, I think that would be a happy choice, but I just haven't seen them anywhere.

(and yeah, the SK6 will only take me so far, but may as well use it while I can--it's still a good heatsink).

-->Stitch

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
im none too sure if panaflo's support monitoring anymore actually...

but the 2000rpm 80mm unit is a VERY quiet fan. quietest ive ever heard.

other good choices are the pabst slow speed 80mm fan, the enermax variable, vantec stealth or thermaltake smartfan2.

<b>Anyone claiming they can see the difference
between 450 and 500 FPS in Quake3 deserves to
be severely beaten with a rock. :smile: </b>

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
I also tried to get some Panalfos with rpm monitoring, but alas, even with a three pin adapter they still wont monitor. I got a vantec stealth, its also very very quiet..

You probably wont be able to use too low of rpm fan if you want it to cool off your HS well.

<font color=green>I can draw tyte give me the damn crayon!</font color=green>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
low speed fans DO work on cpu's... but obviously dont expect miracles, and should only be used on BIG heatsinks.

<b>Anyone claiming they can see the difference
between 450 and 500 FPS in Quake3 deserves to
be severely beaten with a rock. :smile: </b>