Power Converters

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
You know of them... possibly your printer has one... definately a laptop... or a adsl modem, like me.

Ive got a Dlink ADSL modem/router (DSL-504)
and the AC to DC power conversion box gets hot.
Very hot infact.
i ASSUME its meant to be that hot... but the brain rebels.
According to my thermistor on my multimeter the ambient temp is 22C
Coolest part of the power converter box is around 30C
top and right side get up to 35C - 40C.
hottest part, the left side, gets up to a toasty 42C!

So whynot cover it in heatsinks? :lol:

Ive got at least 5 1 inch square aluminium sticky backed heatsinks floating around... which are good for passive devices... as the power conversion box is at least 1.5x1.5x2.5 it should fit lots of them...

so ill see how the temps go :smile:

<b>Anyone claiming they can see the difference
between 450 and 500 FPS in Quake3 deserves to
be severely beaten with a rock. :smile: </b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lhgpoobaa on 02/14/03 06:42 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
awesome lol
you gonna use a little arctic silver adhesive?

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>

G

That would undoubtedly help. I'm thinking the little guy might be a bit undersized, and a more powerful rad shack replacement would stay cooler. I guess it depends on budget which would be best.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
no need.
Ive got two packs of 3 aluminium heatsinks, with peel off paper covered sticky backs... so you just push them firmly on.

ive checked the temps again and it feels alot better. hottest part is now only 36C.

also 'feels' cooler.

One other question... anyone know how to stop them making a 'buzzing' noise?

be severely beaten with a rock. :smile: </b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i could get a new one... as this one also buzzes a little, but i dont wanna kill my modem by getting a bad standin part!

G

Check the modem spec sheet for a power supply voltage tolerance, and there may also be a ripple spec. Those are the numbers to beat, or meet in order to ensure proper power supply quality. Alternatively, if it is marked on the back you could just match/beat the specs of the converter they sent you with the modem.

Watch the input and output specs, and obviously plug style and pinout.

Lastly don't forget that the whole point is to get one that has a higher rated output current for whatever voltage is required, ie 5, 12VDC, whatever.

svol

Champion
The only way to stop it buzz is by destroying it. It are the voltage regulators that make that noice.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
actually i found if i push down on the back the buzz stops. maybe a bit of glue or something with stop it.