Florida Getting Ready for Military Draft

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys,alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.politics (More info?)

Amazing that well over half the country supported the war, which is over 100
million people, yet the military can't get enough recruits. When are the
warhawks actually going to back up their bullshit and enlist? They should
draft the kids of the redumblicans, they won't of course though; what good
will drafting them do anyway? They'd just dodge their service like GWB.

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050606/LOCAL/5060503
7/1078/news

State's draft boards need 78 Floridians to fill posts

By KAREN VOYLES

Sun staff writer
June 06. 2005 6:01AM

Uncle Sam wants you and is willing to hold basic training time down to eight
hours if you are willing to volunteer.

What the federal government is looking for are at least 78 Floridians
willing to serve on draft boards even though the nation has not had a draft
for 25 years.

?These local folks would decide cases that involve individuals who may be
claiming a hardship, or that they are a conscientious objector, or
ministerial student, or member of the clergy, or have some other reason why
they believe they should not be drafted,? said Dick Flahavan, associate
director of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs for the Selective Service
System.

The current system has been in place since 1980, standing by in case a draft
is instituted. In Florida, the vacancies are scattered among the 91 draft
boards. Some boards serve only one county, while other boards may serve up
to five.

Nationwide, all 2,000 local draft boards are made up of five citizen
volunteers who have been nominated by their state's governor and appointed
by the director of Selective Service in the name of the president.

Board members must meet certain criteria, including being a U.S. citizen, at
least 18 years old, not a retired or active member of the armed forces or
any reserve component, a resident in the area in which the board has
jurisdiction, and willing to spend enough time at the position.

The time commitment is minimal during peacetime, Flahavan said. Following an
initial eight hours of training, members are expected to participate in
three-hour annual training sessions.

However, the time commitment could increase significantly during a draft.

According to the sequence of events listed on the agency's Web site, once
potential draftees have undergone a physical, mental and moral evaluation by
the military, they have 10 days to file a claim for exemption, postponement
or deferment. Those claims are reviewed and decided by the local draft
boards. The board has the authority to interview the draftee and people who
know him before making their decision.

?We have vacancies all of the time because of normal attrition and because
there is a limit of 20 years that someone can serve on a board,? Flahavan
said.

Among those nearing the end of the service is Gainesville attorney Howard
Rosenblatt, who can serve for a maximum of two more years on the Alachua
County draft board. His motivation for serving 18 years already was his own
experience. He was drafted when he graduated from college but was granted a
deferment because he had accepted a teaching job in a school struggling
through integration.

?My perception of the draft board was not based on knowledge but on urban
legend,? Rosenblatt said. ?I thought it was a bunch of old military guys who
would want everybody to serve and be hesitant about giving deferments. I
volunteered because I felt it was important to have people on the board who
were open-minded and sensitive.?

Discussions about reinstituting the draft have come up periodically, but
have not amounted to anything during the past 25 years. It would require an
act of Congress and presidential approval to authorize a draft.

"Freedom Fries" <bushwasresponsible@911.com> wrote in message
> http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050606/LOCAL/5060503
> 7/1078/news
>
> State's draft boards need 78 Floridians to fill posts
>
> By KAREN VOYLES
>
> Sun staff writer
> June 06. 2005 6:01AM
>
> Uncle Sam wants you and is willing to hold basic training time down to
> eight
> hours if you are willing to volunteer.
>
> What the federal government is looking for are at least 78 Floridians
> willing to serve on draft boards even though the nation has not had a
> draft
> for 25 years.

Thats OK, Jerry Jones hasnt had a draft in 10 years and he still has you
idiots drinking the Kool Aid.

BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys,alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.politics (More info?)

"Discussions about reinstituting the draft have come up periodically, but
have not amounted to anything during the past 25 years. It would require an
act of Congress and presidential approval to authorize a draft."

^^^^
Most important passage. If, and that's a huge IF, the draft was employed, it
would be very selective based on critically undermanned career fields....not
the mass drafts during the Vietnam era.

"DHarris75" <dharris_75removethis@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> "Discussions about reinstituting the draft have come up periodically, but
> have not amounted to anything during the past 25 years. It would require
an
> act of Congress and presidential approval to authorize a draft."

yes, and our current congress doesn't EVER do what Bush says to do.

justforfun

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys,alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.politics (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:17:43 -0500, "the Bede"
<rspwsownthebede@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"DHarris75" <dharris_75removethis@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> "Discussions about reinstituting the draft have come up periodically, but
>> have not amounted to anything during the past 25 years. It would require
>an
>> act of Congress and presidential approval to authorize a draft."
>>
>yes, and our current congress doesn't EVER do what Bush says to do.

The entire nonsense of this thread revolves around a draft board in
Florida. Here's a newsflash for ya, it is still required that males
upon turning 18 register with the draft board. That has not and will
not ever change whether or not the draft is re-instated.

This being irrefutable FACT, OF COURSE there are people who must work
for the draft board. Someone has to sort through all those
registration cards, ya know. Only an alarmist takes such a story to
mean that a draft in inevitable.

NEWSFLASH....the draft board had employees while Clinton was Prez,
too. Nobody was accusing him of organizing a draft.

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys,alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.politics (More info?)

I know this. Douglas, venger and the rest of the hawks in
alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys would each fake high blood
pressure or malaria before they shipped out to Iraq to fight the war
they say I'm a terrorist for opposing.

Freedom Fries wrote:
> Amazing that well over half the country supported the war, which is over 100
> million people, yet the military can't get enough recruits. When are the
> warhawks actually going to back up their bullshit and enlist? They should
> draft the kids of the redumblicans, they won't of course though; what good
> will drafting them do anyway? They'd just dodge their service like GWB.

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys,alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.politics (More info?)

Part of the article:

"Nationwide, all 2,000 local draft boards are made up of five citizen
volunteers who have been nominated by their state's governor and appointed
by the director of Selective Service in the name of the president."

Whose kids do you think will be inducted in states with GOP governors?
Who do you think they'll nominate to those boards? People who will go
out of their way to avoid inducting the likes of Jenna and Barbara.

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys,alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.politics (More info?)

Freedom Fries knelt and kissed my pinky ring before proclaiming

> Amazing that well over half the country supported the war, which is over 100
> million people, yet the military can't get enough recruits. When are the
> warhawks actually going to back up their bullshit and enlist? They should
> draft the kids of the redumblicans, they won't of course though; what good
> will drafting them do anyway? They'd just dodge their service like GWB.

Your inability to read an article is astounding. Must be that public
school education you have.

--
Pope GregoryD

Founder of Opus Hogan, Patriarch of the West Coast, Vicarius Fili
Hulkster, Successor of the Mouth, Primate and Archbishop of Venice Beach

"Pope GregoryD" <hagar@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> When are you going to read the article and realize what a moron both of
> you are?

So you know where the WMD's are? Why aren't you on a boat for Iraq?

"JustForFun" <justforfun69@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:17:43 -0500, "the Bede"
> <rspwsownthebede@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>"DHarris75" <dharris_75removethis@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>> "Discussions about reinstituting the draft have come up periodically,
>>> but
>>> have not amounted to anything during the past 25 years. It would require
>>an
>>> act of Congress and presidential approval to authorize a draft."
>>>
>>yes, and our current congress doesn't EVER do what Bush says to do.
>
> The entire nonsense of this thread revolves around a draft board in
> Florida. Here's a newsflash for ya, it is still required that males
> upon turning 18 register with the draft board. That has not and will
> not ever change whether or not the draft is re-instated.
>
> This being irrefutable FACT, OF COURSE there are people who must work
> for the draft board. Someone has to sort through all those
> registration cards, ya know. Only an alarmist takes such a story to
> mean that a draft in inevitable.
>
> NEWSFLASH....the draft board had employees while Clinton was Prez,
> too. Nobody was accusing him of organizing a draft.

Clinton didn't start a war based on false pretense either. Perhaps that is
the difference that warrants concern.

"calaf" <calaf@calaf.com> wrote in message
>I know this. Douglas, venger and the rest of the hawks in
>alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys would each fake high blood pressure
>or malaria before they shipped out to Iraq to fight the war they say I'm a
>terrorist for opposing.

amen.

> Who do you think they'll nominate to those boards? People who will go
> out of their way to avoid inducting the likes of Jenna and Barbara.

Women don't have to register for the selective service.

"Chance Hopkins" <chance_hopkins@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> NEWSFLASH....the draft board had employees while Clinton was Prez,
>> too. Nobody was accusing him of organizing a draft.
>

> Clinton didn't start a war based on false pretense either. Perhaps that is
> the difference that warrants concern.

The most infamous lefty meme rears it's head again... conveniently ignoring
that President Clinton was out front in supporting action against Iraq. Why?
Cause he had seen the SAME things in briefings that Bush did. And you know
what? The OTHER Clinton supported it too. Was she organizing a draft?

The pretense was not wrong - Saddam was a known regional bad actor and enemy
of the United States, had numerous weapons programs, had used them against
his neighbors and his own people, with ties to regional terror, and the
regime most likely to be in a position to put them in the hands of
terrorists. All of those facts continue to be true to this day, and would be
true with Saddam still in power. What was incorrect was our assumption that
he currently had either a stockpile or notable production capacity. If you
think that honestly changes the equation, then you are trusting to the
intentions of a murdering madman.

Everyone in the Congress who voted for the resolution authorizing the war in
Iraq had access to the very same intelligence that the Bush Administration
did. As did Tony Blair. Is he also organizing a draft?

Venger

Venger wrote:
> "Chance Hopkins" <chance_hopkins@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> NEWSFLASH....the draft board had employees while Clinton was Prez,
>>> too. Nobody was accusing him of organizing a draft.
>>

>> Clinton didn't start a war based on false pretense either. Perhaps
>> that is the difference that warrants concern.
>
> The most infamous lefty meme rears it's head again... conveniently
> ignoring that President Clinton was out front in supporting action
> against Iraq. Why? Cause he had seen the SAME things in briefings
> that Bush did.

And he had excusses for his illegal war too...
.. And what response did he get for his very meassured response to that Iraq
intellegence? Wag the dog... something tells me he would have again listened
to the UN inspecters and others on the ground instead of installing an
invasion force on the border.

>And you know what? The OTHER Clinton supported it too.
> Was she organizing a draft?

A campaign. Would not want to piss of the saudis. money talks in washington
and the most money is thrown around by the house of suad. Clinton had his
share too. Not as blantantly as bush.

> Everyone in the Congress who voted for the resolution authorizing the
> war in Iraq had access to the very same intelligence that the Bush
> Administration did.

The had the part he sent and sold to them including known fake documents.
Even representitive 'freedom fries' now says they were lied to.

>As did Tony Blair. Is he also organizing a draft?

an exit...

--
Laurel T
"The lives of cadis, scholars, shaykhs, Alids,

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys,alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.politics (More info?)

Hi 'U Are With Us Or Against Us'.

Still a liEberal-biased nymshifting anonymous pussy, eh?

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys,alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.politics (More info?)

Pope TardSmack I, the only REAL Pope of RSPW (all others are FAKES)
wrote:
> Hi 'U Are With Us Or Against Us'.

"All who surrender will be spared;
whoever does not surrender but
opposes with struggle and dissension,
shall be annihilated." --Chingis Khan

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:05:50 GMT, "Venger" <venger@augustmail.com>
wrote:

>"Chance Hopkins" <chance_hopkins@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> NEWSFLASH....the draft board had employees while Clinton was Prez,
>>> too. Nobody was accusing him of organizing a draft.
>>

>> Clinton didn't start a war based on false pretense either. Perhaps that is
>> the difference that warrants concern.
>
>The most infamous lefty meme rears it's head again... conveniently ignoring
>that President Clinton was out front in supporting action against Iraq. Why?
>Cause he had seen the SAME things in briefings that Bush did. And you know
>what? The OTHER Clinton supported it too. Was she organizing a draft?

Let me help you here with a new perspective. Clinton was for NAFTA.
Democrats generally weren't. Democrats don't march in lock step like
the Republicans. Clinton ignored the Democratic base more than any
President I can remember. He had a few BS issues, but he generally
governed like a moderate Republican.

Besides, Republicans would have HOWLED about Iraq if Clinton brought
up knocking Saddam off. Not only would we have heard about quagmires,
smaller government, the expense of it and all the other criticisms
that Democrats have made, they'd have personally attacked Clinton for
dodging the draft.

Finally, since when did Clinton's opinion become a source of support
for what you believe?

wrote:

>"Chance Hopkins" <chance_hopkins@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> NEWSFLASH....the draft board had employees while Clinton was Prez,
>>> too. Nobody was accusing him of organizing a draft.
>>

>> Clinton didn't start a war based on false pretense either. Perhaps that is
>> the difference that warrants concern.
>
>The most infamous lefty meme rears it's head again... conveniently ignoring
>that President Clinton was out front in supporting action against Iraq. Why?

What kind of action?

Rob
ploovTeHSPaeMBLoKuR@charter.net

--

Owner of 2501 Netstalker Points awarded by Corwin of Amber, mainly
because Atma's just too damn attractive to get away from.

Gave 7499 Netstalker Points to Cypher because there's no such thing as
a good day on AGFF without JT bashing!

Owner of David Watson, rec.arts.anime.misc

"'I'm glad you're having fun, but I cannot join you for there is work
to be done. My dwarven hunter in World of Warcraft is only level 12!
I need to be level 60 come winter, and if you were wise you'd come in
from your silly playtime and do the same.'"
--Corin Tucker's Stalker, The Ant and The Grasshopper
(Something Awful June 11)

"Rob Browning" <pluvius3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:05:50 GMT, "Venger" <venger@augustmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Chance Hopkins" <chance_hopkins@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Clinton didn't start a war based on false pretense either. Perhaps that
>>> is
>>> the difference that warrants concern.
>>
>>The most infamous lefty meme rears it's head again... conveniently
>>ignoring
>>that President Clinton was out front in supporting action against Iraq.
>>Why?
>
> What kind of action?

We've been in Iraq for over a decade. I'd watch A-10s go wheels up loaded
and come back empty.

> Amazing that well over half the country supported the war, which is
> over 100 million people, yet the military can't get enough recruits.
> When are the warhawks actually going to back up their bullshit and
> enlist? They should draft the kids of the redumblicans, they won't of
> course though; what good will drafting them do anyway? They'd just
> dodge their service like GWB.

a moment of honesty. if those who 'supported the war' had been told that
they would have to serve - or their service age children would - do you
think they would have still supported the war? look at our very viker
(where is he anyway?). if he had to get off his ass and go to iraq, he
would never have uttered word one about mass graves or the 'evil' saddam.

Jack Straw wrote:
> "Freedom Fries" <bushwasresponsible@911.com> wrote in
>
>> Amazing that well over half the country supported the war, which is
>> over 100 million people, yet the military can't get enough recruits.
>> When are the warhawks actually going to back up their bullshit and
>> enlist? They should draft the kids of the redumblicans, they won't of
>> course though; what good will drafting them do anyway? They'd just
>> dodge their service like GWB.
>>
> a moment of honesty. if those who 'supported the war' had been told
> that they would have to serve - or their service age children would -
> do you think they would have still supported the war? look at our
> very viker (where is he anyway?).

First he voted himself off the island and then he said he could not overcome
aol dropping usenet...

--
Laurel T
When rats leave a sinking ship,

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys,alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.politics (More info?)

"DHarris75" <dharris_75removethis@bellsouth.net> wrote in

> "Discussions about reinstituting the draft have come up periodically,
> but have not amounted to anything during the past 25 years. It would
> require an act of Congress and presidential approval to authorize a
> draft."

and since it would be political suicide, it will never happen.

Jack Straw <jackstraw@wichita.edu> wrote in

> "Freedom Fries" <bushwasresponsible@911.com> wrote in
>
>> Amazing that well over half the country supported the war, which is
>> over 100 million people, yet the military can't get enough recruits.
>> When are the warhawks actually going to back up their bullshit and
>> enlist? They should draft the kids of the redumblicans, they won't of
>> course though; what good will drafting them do anyway? They'd just
>> dodge their service like GWB.
>>
> a moment of honesty. if those who 'supported the war' had been told that
> they would have to serve - or their service age children would - do you
> think they would have still supported the war? look at our very viker
> (where is he anyway?). if he had to get off his ass and go to iraq, he
> would never have uttered word one about mass graves or the 'evil' saddam.

let me add though that i can envision a substitute for a draft. perhaps
forcing people in debt to serve to pay off their debts? instead of sending
them to debtors prison. or simply forcing convicted felons to serve instead
of sending them to jail? i would not be surprised at all.

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys,alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.politics (More info?)

JustForFun <justforfun69@bellsouth.net> wrote in

> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:17:43 -0500, "the Bede"
> <rspwsownthebede@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>"DHarris75" <dharris_75removethis@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>> "Discussions about reinstituting the draft have come up
>>> periodically, but have not amounted to anything during the past 25
>>> years. It would require
>>an
>>> act of Congress and presidential approval to authorize a draft."
>>>
>>yes, and our current congress doesn't EVER do what Bush says to do.
>
> The entire nonsense of this thread revolves around a draft board in
> Florida. Here's a newsflash for ya, it is still required that males
> upon turning 18 register with the draft board. That has not and will
> not ever change whether or not the draft is re-instated.

you betray your youth. when i was 18 there was no requirement to register
at all. that was abolished in 1973 when the ended the draft. it was
reinstituted in 1982(?) by ronnie raygun.

> This being irrefutable FACT, OF COURSE there are people who must work
> for the draft board. Someone has to sort through all those
> registration cards, ya know. Only an alarmist takes such a story to
> mean that a draft in inevitable.
>
> NEWSFLASH....the draft board had employees while Clinton was Prez,
> too. Nobody was accusing him of organizing a draft.

perhaps not. but lots of righties were calling for a draft in order to
stop clinton's military adventurism in kosovo and bosnia. funny that.

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys,alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.politics (More info?)

"Chance Hopkins" <chance_hopkins@hotmail.com> wrote in

> "JustForFun" <justforfun69@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:17:43 -0500, "the Bede"
>> <rspwsownthebede@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"DHarris75" <dharris_75removethis@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>>an
>>>>
>>>yes, and our current congress doesn't EVER do what Bush says to do.
>>
>> The entire nonsense of this thread revolves around a draft board in
>> Florida. Here's a newsflash for ya, it is still required that males
>> upon turning 18 register with the draft board. That has not and will
>> not ever change whether or not the draft is re-instated.
>>
>> This being irrefutable FACT, OF COURSE there are people who must work
>> for the draft board. Someone has to sort through all those
>> registration cards, ya know. Only an alarmist takes such a story to
>> mean that a draft in inevitable.
>>
>> NEWSFLASH....the draft board had employees while Clinton was Prez,
>> too. Nobody was accusing him of organizing a draft.
>

> Clinton didn't start a war based on false pretense either. Perhaps
> that is the difference that warrants concern.

your statement may be true but bushies will retort with kosovo and
bosnia. or that 'aspirin factory' in sudan.