PDAs, data, and carriers

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

I am a longtime Verizon Wireless customer. I am keeping a close eye on
the Treo line (600 and 650). I do not have either, but I have friends who
do.

I feel Verizon charges a lot for data. Tmobile is much friendlier, but I
do question their coverage. I don't travel much, but when I do, I'd like
to be assured of coverage, and I feel most comfortable with Verizon's.

Along these lines, does anyone know if there is a way to get the Treo to
see itself as a modem, thus permitting me to use a secure shell client or
web browser on the Treo and have the data funnel through the voice
minutes? Or, am I stuck with being required to order the data plan from
either provider? My goal is that the Treo can replace the need for using
a laptop for simple Internet needs.

Thanks much!

Scott, Boston, MA

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

Sprint and the Treo 650 are a good combination. Sprint has better coverage
than T-Mobile but not quite as good as Verizon.

In alt.cellular.verizon Scott Ehrlich <scott@mit.edu> wrote:

> Along these lines, does anyone know if there is a way to get the Treo to see
> itself as a modem, thus permitting me to use a secure shell client or web
> browser on the Treo and have the data funnel through the voice minutes?

I currently have the Kyocera 7135 and have data use be charged
against my ordinary voice minutes (MOU = Minutes Of Use) as
opposed to per-KB charges.

Most reps don't know about the option and you may have to be
persistent.

However, the catch is that you can't "abuse" MOU by doing lots
of data transfer, otherwise they'll force you to get a data
plan. In my case, I only use data occasionally.

- Paul

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

Agreed. Sprint is pretty good although you'll experience occasional
dropouts. On the bright side, the data plans are SO much cheaper.
Unlimited access is $10-15 per month. You will have to buy an
expensive data plan with a Treo. Right now the only phone I know that
uses the slower "free" network is the Samsungi600. Good luck.

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:26:41 -0700, "Bubba DeBub"
<BubbaDeBub@RideEmCowboy.com> wrote:

>Sprint and the Treo 650 are a good combination. Sprint has better coverage
>than T-Mobile but not quite as good as Verizon.
>
>"Scott Ehrlich" <scott@mit.edu> wrote in message
>>
>> I am a longtime Verizon Wireless customer. I am keeping a close eye on
>> the Treo line (600 and 650). I do not have either, but I have friends who
>> do.
>>
>> I feel Verizon charges a lot for data. Tmobile is much friendlier, but I
>> do question their coverage. I don't travel much, but when I do, I'd like
>> to be assured of coverage, and I feel most comfortable with Verizon's.
>>
>> Along these lines, does anyone know if there is a way to get the Treo to
>> see itself as a modem, thus permitting me to use a secure shell client or
>> web browser on the Treo and have the data funnel through the voice
>> minutes? Or, am I stuck with being required to order the data plan from
>> either provider? My goal is that the Treo can replace the need for using
>> a laptop for simple Internet needs.
>>
>> Thanks much!
>>
>> Scott, Boston, MA

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

I will probably be getting a 650 when Verizon carries it. Latest fairly
substantiated rumours on treo.net are by the end of May.

Spring and T-Mobile have much better data plans. But, you can't compare the
coverage, at least on Long Island/greater NY metro area.

I have five teens (second marriage!). Until recently we had Sprint,
T-Mobile, AT&T, Nextel, and Verizon in our family. I should be in a Verizon
commercial. The difference with Verizon wasn't even close. Yeah, you'll
pay more for Verizon, and get less in a lot of ways - except coverage area.
Which, for me, is what I really need in a mobile.

I'm hoping, though not counting on it, that Verizon lowers their data rates.

--
-----------========::::::::::+::::::::::========---------
ken@tssf.org Ken E. Norian Long Island, NY USA

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:51:57 -0400, "K.E.N." <kenorian@nospam.li.net>
wrote:

>I will probably be getting a 650 when Verizon carries it. Latest fairly
>substantiated rumours on treo.net are by the end of May.
>
>Spring and T-Mobile have much better data plans. But, you can't compare the
>coverage, at least on Long Island/greater NY metro area.

In my experience, TM's coverage is just as good in Metro New York as
Verizon's. My wife used to have a Verizon account and there were many
more issues associated with it, such as dropped calls, poor call
quality, etc. than we now have to a TM family plan.

And I love the reliability of their data service as well.

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:18:11 GMT, Cyrus Afzali <pnsmnyv@lnubb.pbz>
wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:51:57 -0400, "K.E.N." <kenorian@nospam.li.net>
>wrote:
>
>>I will probably be getting a 650 when Verizon carries it. Latest fairly
>>substantiated rumours on treo.net are by the end of May.
>>
>>Spring and T-Mobile have much better data plans. But, you can't compare the
>>coverage, at least on Long Island/greater NY metro area.
>
>In my experience, TM's coverage is just as good in Metro New York as
>Verizon's. My wife used to have a Verizon account and there were many
>more issues associated with it, such as dropped calls, poor call
>quality, etc. than we now have to a TM family plan.
>
>And I love the reliability of their data service as well.
>>
>>I have five teens (second marriage!). Until recently we had Sprint,
>>T-Mobile, AT&T, Nextel, and Verizon in our family. I should be in a Verizon
>>commercial. The difference with Verizon wasn't even close. Yeah, you'll
>>pay more for Verizon, and get less in a lot of ways - except coverage area.
>>Which, for me, is what I really need in a mobile.
>>
>>I'm hoping, though not counting on it, that Verizon lowers their data rates.

As far as I'm concerned, Verizon is now working backwards with me as
they sold me on a Treo only to find out that my then current data plan
would need to be replaced with a $50/mo. unlimited plan for any
reasonable usage.

Regarding T-Mobile, I have no experience except for being in Central
Park in NYC with friends to discover that T-Mobile had no service
whatsoever. How poor is that? I've found Sprint almost comparable
except in tunnels and subways where Verizon is slightly stronger. As I
said, the gap is narrowing and Verizon can take it's marketing and
stuff it. Now the issue is getting rid of my Treo and making the jump
to Sprint. Rumor has it that I can use my Treo 600 on Sprint's network
although I'm not fond of the fact that any plan on a mobile phone
seems to require a full year contract. Something seems not quite
kosher about that...

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

It is alleged that JSOUL dot com claimed:

; stuff it. Now the issue is getting rid of my Treo and making the jump
; to Sprint. Rumor has it that I can use my Treo 600 on Sprint's network

You should be able to, as Sprint and VZW are both CDMA. So long as the
Treo can use both bands, you should be able to transfer the hardware.

; although I'm not fond of the fact that any plan on a mobile phone
; seems to require a full year contract. Something seems not quite
; kosher about that...

Sounds normal to me, unless you want a pre-pay thing.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Oh my god... here they come... switch to external viewers... [Shadow
Fleet is shown] They've got weapons lock! Here it comes... here it
comes!!! [Bright flash] Argghh!!!!" (Cmdr. Ivanova B5 [alternate
future] B5 "War Without End, Pt. 1")

You will not be able to use a non Sprint PCS phone on Sprint PCS'
network. There are certain Sprint PCS options that do require a 2 year
Advantage Agreement, but there are plans that can go month to month for
$10./mo. extra.

"Jeffrey Kaplan" <acv@gordol.org> wrote in message news:gt5r61562r2q615oi82k93vbr2bg5va341@news20.forteinc.com...
> It is alleged that JSOUL dot com claimed:
>
> ; stuff it. Now the issue is getting rid of my Treo and making the jump
> ; to Sprint. Rumor has it that I can use my Treo 600 on Sprint's network
>
> You should be able to, as Sprint and VZW are both CDMA. So long as the
> Treo can use both bands, you should be able to transfer the hardware.

You may want to get a second opinion on that, because as I understand it,
Sprint will not activate a phone that was originally activated on Verizon.

--
John Richards

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:12:29 -0400, JSOUL dot com
<tkd__in__the__city@REMOVE_yahoo_SPAM_.com> wrote:

>Regarding T-Mobile, I have no experience except for being in Central
>Park in NYC with friends to discover that T-Mobile had no service
>whatsoever. How poor is that? I've found Sprint almost comparable
>except in tunnels and subways where Verizon is slightly stronger. As I
>said, the gap is narrowing and Verizon can take it's marketing and
>stuff it. Now the issue is getting rid of my Treo and making the jump
>to Sprint. Rumor has it that I can use my Treo 600 on Sprint's network
>although I'm not fond of the fact that any plan on a mobile phone
>seems to require a full year contract. Something seems not quite
>kosher about that...

It's not something I've experienced with TM, and I've been a city
resident for more than 9 years and a TM user for more than 4. I'm in
central park on many occasions and have no problems using either voice
or data. And I'm also a Treo 600 user (in addition to a Nokia 6610).