Help: Accessing secure websites over LAN

Archived from groups: comp.protocols.ppp,fa.firewall,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.security,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

I have the following problem. Every time I try to access an secure
website or a page with secure items the browser tries endlessly to
connect to the page/item but with no avail. No error message is ever
returned. This only happens when I try to access these sites as a
client computer on a LAN with shared Internet connection. I have no
problem accessing the secure websites using the host computer. I also
changed the client computer to host and
that enabled me to access secure sites. I should also mention a
secure site/item is always the cause for my browser's inability to
connect to a site, that there are some secure sites that I can access
(althought it seems if it happens at a slower speed).

I didn't have this problem when I used to connect to the Internet
using a dail-up connection. The problem started when I installed my
broadband wireless connection. As a novice I am not sure which
protocol the wireless connection use but I have noticed settings for
PAP, MPAP, CHAP and that type of stuff that is different from the
dialup connection.

I have tried a range of options to resolve the issue including:
- Changing/disabling the firewall on client and host computer
- Reinstalling Windows XP on both client and host computer
- Trying different browsers
- Toggling with SSL and encrypting settings
- Toggling with the IPSec policies and even removing it with "net stop
policyagent"

Please feel free to forward this message to anyone/any newsgroup that
you think might be better able to assist.

Thanks in advance

Pierre
1 answer Last reply
More about help accessing secure websites
  1. Archived from groups: comp.protocols.ppp,fa.firewall,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.security,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    pierrevr@webmail.co.za (Pierre van Rooyen) writes:

[...]

    I suspect this has absolutely nothing to do with ppp. It might be a
    problem caused by NAT (Network Address Translation) going on either
    with the firewall software in the host, or in the modem.

Firewalls Connection Networking