Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should I play these on PS3 or PC

Last response: in Video Games
November 6, 2012 12:35:23 PM

With Black Ops 2 coming out Nov. 13th, I've been debating whether I should play it on PC or PS3, and here is my situation:
I play solo either way...

PS3:
Pros
I like to play fps games multiplayer for the sole reason of little to no hackers compared to that on a PC.
The exclusive games are not so important, rather I feel indifferent, mainly into FPS.
If I do get a PS3, which I don't have currently, there is a PS3 + MW3 bundle that sells for $299 on amazon.

Cons: not sure if it really is a con, but I'm not sure how good I'll be at aiming with a controller.

PC:
I am using a crappy 24inch HDTV 1080p 60hz as my monitor:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+24%2...;jsessionid=F65CB6CB50F220B98D93B50CE3847C32.bbolsp-app05-50?id=1218529597864&skuId=4792285&st=insignia%2024%20inch&cp=1&lp=3

and I was thinking if I go serious, I'd better upgrade that to a better monitor, something like a Benq, which costs $380.

My PC is quite new, i3570k(overclocked 4.5ghz), 8gb ram, msi gtx 660 ti (overclocked)...I use the HDTV instead of getting a monitor because I had a budget then, in case you were wondering.

Sidenote: I quit MW3 on PC due to the hacking awhile back when developers didn't pay much attention to patching the right stuff.

Conclusion: The cost between getting a monitor and buying a PS3 is not big of a difference, so cost-wise is not much problem. Just want some good suggestions from the community to help me decide, thanks.

More about : play ps3

November 6, 2012 3:57:02 PM

I guess it comes down to whether or not giving up superior control (mouse/keyboard) and much better graphics (DX11 support etc.) means more to you than dealing with potential hackers and the PC being a bit harder to get in/out of games (and currently no Elite support on launch for PC).

Personally I would go with an Xbox if you are looking at a console mainly for FPS games because while you do have to pay for a gold membership the on-line matchmaking compared to PS3 is MUCH better (I own both consoles and have a gaming PC). I also prefer the Xbox controller to the PS3 controller for FPS games but that is again personal preference.

My advice would be to play on PC and deal with the hackers. I guess you should also consider which platform you have the most friends playing on as for most people that is a big part of the multiplayer experience.
m
l
a b î Playstation
a b C Monitor
November 6, 2012 4:38:21 PM

It definately takes a bit of an adjustment going from PC to console. After having a console for 3 years, I'm still better on a PC. On the plus side, console games come default with auto aim turned on.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b C Monitor
November 6, 2012 5:29:07 PM

Save some money and stick with the PC, for $300 you could get a really really good monitor, or spend around $150-200 and get a good one.
You are already used to PC fps controls and aiming on consoles is harder (I own a ps3 and barely use it) plus treyarch's CoD have far fewer hackers (except the console version of WaW) plus they have proper dedicated servers on PC rather than MW3's unranked ones, so there should be far fewer hackers.
November 6, 2012 10:26:36 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
It definately takes a bit of an adjustment going from PC to console. After having a console for 3 years, I'm still better on a PC. On the plus side, console games come default with auto aim turned on.

Yeah, I saw a youtube review on the so-called auto aim. In the video, they used the term, sticky aim, and basically is that when you aim down on enemies, the iron sight/red dot/etc slows down as you get aim closer to the enemy, the video was pretty detailed about it.
m
l
November 6, 2012 10:47:00 PM

Tibbs01 said:
I guess it comes down to whether or not giving up superior control (mouse/keyboard) and much better graphics (DX11 support etc.) means more to you than dealing with potential hackers and the PC being a bit harder to get in/out of games (and currently no Elite support on launch for PC).

Personally I would go with an Xbox if you are looking at a console mainly for FPS games because while you do have to pay for a gold membership the on-line matchmaking compared to PS3 is MUCH better (I own both consoles and have a gaming PC). I also prefer the Xbox controller to the PS3 controller for FPS games but that is again personal preference.

My advice would be to play on PC and deal with the hackers. I guess you should also consider which platform you have the most friends playing on as for most people that is a big part of the multiplayer experience.

I was never an avid fps gamer. I used to be a mmorpg kind of player. My first fps was counterstrike 1.5 and I was your average player, but although average, I really enjoyed fps, and since I quit mmorpg, *wink wink* WoW, I find FPS games a good stress reliever to digress from the college workload. I remember my first time when I borrowed my friend's PS3 to play MW2 and first game unbearable...I sucked at the controls so much (and probably the game too for being a noob) that my K/D was like 1:8. Then I thought to myself, it's gotta be the controller, I can't be that bad, I mean I came from the CS days right? So I bought myself a MW2 PC version and first game encounter was a TDM with a hacker on the enemy team who had a 25 killstreak hack...gg right?

So I guess you can see from where I'm coming from. My friends are either all playing WoW or don't play games at all so that part is negligible. I actually went and did a search for MW3 hacks on PS3 and the only hack out there seem to be lobby hack, aimbots are nonexistent, thank god. I guess I prefer the PS3 to Xbox for various reasons, such as free online play and no need to buy any accessories, but we'll see...money is not that huge of an issue, as I just want to test out which platform gives me the best satisfaction. I decided to try out both first, so I bought a good 120hz monitor and a PS3 with the MW3 bundle, all together for $500ish.

If I do decide that PC is much better and that I still suck at aiming with a controller I could always return the PS3 within 30days (amazon) or yet sell it (good thing is a MW3 ps3 version game is not like how the PC one is, once used reselling it is worthless since the CDkey becomes invalid)

Thanks.
m
l
November 6, 2012 10:50:19 PM

Optimus_Toaster said:
Save some money and stick with the PC, for $300 you could get a really really good monitor, or spend around $150-200 and get a good one.
You are already used to PC fps controls and aiming on consoles is harder (I own a ps3 and barely use it) plus treyarch's CoD have far fewer hackers (except the console version of WaW) plus they have proper dedicated servers on PC rather than MW3's unranked ones, so there should be far fewer hackers.

Hey there, very curious on the source of fewer hackers for treyarch's COD. I decided to try both out for the kick, think of it as a paid-free trial, lol. But I'm probably definitely keeping the monitor, so I heard benQ and its black equalizer is soooo good on BF3, oh did I forget to mention, I play BF3 on PC...
m
l
November 14, 2012 4:28:45 AM

Best answer selected by broodfusion.
m
l
November 14, 2012 5:06:17 AM

Will I need to reload the OS once upgrade is complete

m
l
!