AMD Duron 900 MHz.

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Hi,
I have heard a lot of things about overclocking and I decided to try it. First I went into the BIOS and changed the Front Side Bus to 102 MHz. and the multiplier of 9. This gave me 918 MHz. Then I went to 103 MHz. on the the Front Side Bus. Now I am at 927 MHz. I have a few questions. How much can I expect to be able to overclock? I currently have a Taisol fan that can support an AMD Athlon 1500+. When I first boot my computer it is cool at 28 C. Then at full load, it is 40 C. How high can I go before getting concerned? I know AMD reccomends like 80-85C, but I don't want to go that high.

Here is my system:
AMD Duron 900~928 MHZ.
Antec 1080 AMG case
DVD and CD-RW drives
Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard
Corsair 512 MB DDR 400 (2 X 256)
Western Digital 80 GB
Seagate 20 GB
GeForce 4 Ti 4200

svol

Champion
In theory your CPU will burn at 80-85C. But it will lock around 65C in most cases.
Just keep increasing the FSB till your CPU comes unstable. If the CPU temps aren't very high you can slightly increase the VCore to see if that allows your CPU to run at higher speeds.

With that setup the only bottleneck in OC'ing will be your CPU. The memory and motherboard can handle much higher speeds then you're currently running at. But be sure that you lock the AGP and PCI speed inside your BIOS.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Hi,
I have two questions? To lock the AGP slot, I have it set currently at Auto. Is this correct? Also, where would I lock the PCI slots? Thanks

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
I personally do not lock these on my system, I enjoy the added speed of a 73mhz agp bus. Hard drives will benifit from a pci overclock too as they run off the pci bus. Experiment with locking and unlocking the buses if it is stable unlocked then kudos to you!

Fighting for peace is like screwing for abstinance!

svol

Champion
I don't know... I don't own that mobo but I know it is possible with the nFroce2 chipset. I suggest you check your manual.

But as said by PapaSmurf OC'ing the FSWB also can speed up your PCI and AGP bus. But at AGP 4x it wont help anything because the AGP speed is already higher then most videocard ever need... the same reason why AGP 8x is useless atm.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek: