Sign in with
Your question

New pc build, Low FPS in Borderlands 2.

Last response: in Video Games
November 6, 2012 5:20:52 PM

I recently built a new rig.

Specs
Windows 8
Mobo Asus Sabertooth p67 Updated to latest bios as of today.
CPU i5 2500k Over clocked and stable at 4.5 temps never above 58c under load (water cooled)
8 gigs ddr 3 ram
GPU is 670 GTX FTW (over clocked slightly to run at 1200)
I had an SSD but it took a dump on me so im using a sata 1tb HDD

Other games seem to be fine and hold strong (example Skyrim and BF2 both run 60 or better fps under big loads or fight)

When I play borderlands 2 I seems to go anywhere from 200 fps down to 20 fps. On average it floats at 58 to 60 if im standing still in an area that does not have alot going on. However the moment I start to cruise around It will drop to 40 fps. Then if im in a fire fight i will drop to 20s even the teens if its really hard core.

I have tried playing w/ all types of settings in the game. I tried, at first, using the auto setup. This put my settings to
Fullscreen,
Vsync is - off
smoothed - 22-62 FPS,
res - 1280x 720 (native is 1900 x 1200)
Ambient Occlusion - on
Depth of Field - off
Anisotropic Filtering - off
Bullet Decals - Normal
Foliage Distance - Far
Texture Quality - High
Game Detail - High
View Distance - High
Physx - Effects Low
FXAA -off

I have tried a few things here. I went in set FPS to unlimited (this is where I get the high numbers). I tried res from the 1280 x 720 to my native res and still having the same dips. FPS is the same no matter what res I run. I have tried physx low med and high (fps seem to be about the same all around, it will drop a bit from low to high but not alot like I figured it would)
I have to use vsync or I get alot of screen tearing. When vsync is on I get the worst FPS, if I take it off I get better, but not much. Cruising around I see in the 60's fire fights in the mid to high 20s or 30s (with vsync off) if its on I just crawl.

I have also tried tired un overclocking my stuff and running stock still not able to get good playable frame rates...

Not sure what else to try. Its driving me crazy.
November 6, 2012 6:08:11 PM

What is your CPU usage during the lag? Use Resource monitor to check it.
November 6, 2012 6:12:18 PM

Well I might be able to close the door on this my self.
For giggles I went in and maxed everything out as high as it would go. Turned off vsync and loaded up the game. I did a couple of big fights with Monsters and such in my face beating on me, guns a blazing and held 80 or so FPS even with alot going on..

I have no idea why this happens. I lowed the system specs again and boom terrible fps.

Anyone have suggestion or explanation why this is I would be curious to know. My only thoughts are the game on lower settings my GPU wasn't being pushed hard enough?
Related resources
November 6, 2012 6:22:13 PM

You might have had a CPU bottleneck at those settings :) . I am also not sure, I but think physx when set to low is calculated by the CPU.
November 6, 2012 7:04:10 PM

Are your drivers up-to date?
November 6, 2012 7:47:35 PM

Just got back in. Yea my drivers are all update as of today.

I'm am not sure whats going on. This was the first time tried to max out everything put as much stress on the system I could with the game.. The response is fantastic. If I lower my settings, the response is lack luster.

Interesting enough, my brother in law bought a digital storm ode last year.
Basic run down of specs.
i7 2600k not over clocked, 120 gig ssd, 8 gig ram and GTX 570 ref model.

When he setup and let it auto config his settings the only thing we changed was the res and put it to his native setting.

He pulled a constant 60 maybe a dip to 58.
November 6, 2012 7:50:54 PM

Sunius said:
You might have had a CPU bottleneck at those settings :) . I am also not sure, I but think physx when set to low is calculated by the CPU.

I thought about this, so I changed the phsx to GPU only. Didn't make any difference. Only seems to be happy when I max the game out.

Very strange. I may have to fraps this because it def strange but in a good way! :pt1cable: 
November 6, 2012 11:29:45 PM

4g63mr said:
Just got back in. Yea my drivers are all update as of today.

I'm am not sure whats going on. This was the first time tried to max out everything put as much stress on the system I could with the game.. The response is fantastic. If I lower my settings, the response is lack luster.

Interesting enough, my brother in law bought a digital storm ode last year.
Basic run down of specs.
i7 2600k not over clocked, 120 gig ssd, 8 gig ram and GTX 570 ref model.

When he setup and let it auto config his settings the only thing we changed was the res and put it to his native setting.

He pulled a constant 60 maybe a dip to 58.

what is your driver current version? just stay away from the latest beta because it is known to have problem with win 8
November 14, 2012 1:38:22 PM

It is the 310.33 drivers. I did try the beta, though I didn't have any issues w/ windows 8, I didn't see any difference from 310.33 to the beta's.
!