Sign in with
Your question

Case choice - 120mm case fans

Last response: in Overclocking
February 17, 2003 4:23:04 AM

Well guys, I might be looking for a new case, but I'd LOVE something that allows for both 120mm intake and exhaust fans, and so far I've only found cases that allow for 2 80mm intakes and one 120mm rear exhaust. I'm open to any suggestions, even if it means modding a case - all I'm looking for is one that will at least have the room for me to put one without having to do more than cutting a bigger hole on the ones that don't have a pre-cut 120mm fan mount.

<b>Moore's Law:</b> <i>Processor speed doubles every 12 to 18 months.</i>
<b>OverClocker's Law:</b> <i>My processor went that fast 12 to 18 months ago.</i>
February 17, 2003 6:39:24 PM

Well a few years back i Bought a Full Tower.It was the best choice for me.Lots of room to work in,and plenty of fan space.I have 2 120mm YStech fans.1 in and one out.The back one(above the cpu) was easy.I just made the existing 80mm larger.As far as the front one(the in fan) I had to remove the faceplate to do it.Easy.There are a few Mid Tower cases that already have these provisions in place(dont quote me on that).As for me ? Ive always took cheaper Cases and made them better. Good Luck..
February 18, 2003 5:17:53 AM

Hmm thats true, and I'm open to modding-up a cheapo case, as long as its not TOOO cheap. I would like an aluminum one to start with, mind you i'm not devoted tp that either - as long as it appeals to me to begin with, or that I can find something i like on it or would like on it, but its hard now-a-days with all these random cases and sh*t, but I guess I just need to search

<b>OverClocker's Law:</b> <i>My processor went that fast 12 to 18 months ago.</i>
Related resources
February 18, 2003 10:39:28 PM

Thats all I did.Searched around for a case That fit my needs. For me its a Steel Case.That all ive owned..Im out....Happy Hunting
February 19, 2003 12:08:30 AM

I agree with the modding of cheap cases, have done for quite some time. but remember, there are ALOT of variations in cheap cases, always go over them thoroughly. I built a system for a friend last weekend in a case he bought at a price that was typical for a cheap case and I have never seen anything that bad. I had to pop a spot weld to ease teh strain on the expansion cards. just very poorly manufactured. as always buyer beware.
February 19, 2003 12:32:25 AM

Regarding cheap cases the first case I ever bought was VERY cheap. When my components were loaded you could feel it flex when you picked it up ROFL. My new case is completely custom (built by friend and modded by me!). Everything fits perfect unlike my old case which required some bending to fit components in bays LOL. I now have 1 120mm in in front, 1 80mm in in left case side, 1 80mm out in right case side (sucking from under mobo :) ), 2 80mm out in back, 1 80mm out in top of case right in front of PSU, 2 5.25mm single bay cooler, 1 120mm in in bottom of PSU and 1 80mm out in PSU back. Plus 70mm HSF and retail XP 60mm in slot 1 for VC. Keeps things nice and chilly. Highest I can get my CPU (using toast for an hour) is 39C. FSB is 146 and default CPU (Athlon XP 1800+) voltage.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=42..." target="_new">Psyko's Rig</A>
February 19, 2003 1:35:35 AM

Well i thought I was out.I just had to answer this one.You are right.Cheap is cheap.Most of the Cases I Check out are in the $100 range.Thats for a Full Tower.When it comes to Mid Towers,Its a different story.Since alot of folks in here dont use store bought Systoms(they want to be original)Thats great! Most of the best cases ive seen,are from Original Ideas.Dont get me wrong..Lian,Antec and ThermalTake(spelled it wrong) Make great cases.I know people who have one,or the other.But its not what I want. So as i said in a post a while back(well not the same ,but that way) "Its bragging rights" Well you get the idea.....
February 19, 2003 12:20:23 PM

I think the same way, heh. They're gorgeous cases, great in quality and price, but SOOO COMMON. Thats the PROBLEM with it... mind you, I've fazed-out my idea for a case that can support 120mm fans for a little bit now (but we'll see if I fall on something anyways), since they are hard to find/mod(most cases pervent the use of 120mm fans on the front because of the HD cages, and in the back b/c of I/O panel).
Basically, I've kinda decided in my head that if I get a case with 2 in front, 2 in back then I don't mind going with those nice 12db Papst fans (I can get 'em wholesale just outside of Montreal) or maybe some Panaflo (which I can grab on store credit I've got with Directron.com)... All that to say, I think I've found my next case: Cooler Master's ATC-710 (<A HREF="http://www.coolermaster.com/case/p710.htm" target="_new">http://www.coolermaster.com/case/p710.htm&lt;/A>), or MAYBE the ATC-410 (<A HREF="http://www.coolermaster.com/case/p410.htm" target="_new">http://www.coolermaster.com/case/p410.htm&lt;/A>), though the price tag on this one is ridiculous (around $300) since it's a server tower and can accomodate U racks... hehehehe, now wouldn't that be cool ? havin' my system on a 1 or 2 U rack... hmmm.
But yeah, that ATC-710 is probably something I'm going to keep in mind, especially that this one DOES allow me to put a 120mm fan in front with a little modding, and I don't know if you guys read that new thread about putting a hole behind your mobo tray, but I've thought about doing that, just never new if it was worth it - guess it is, so I'll pprobably end-up putting one exhaust in back of case, and one in back of mobo (I want my peace and QUIET !!!) ... if I need more, I'll slice my window (oh yeah, NEEEEDS a window mod) and put a 120mm over the chipset. Hmmmm, yeah.
So yeah, if any of you guys find something nice and modd-able too, send me a link or somethin, there's just so many cases out there that its impossible to look at everything !

February 19, 2003 4:19:05 PM

a very easy mod is just to purchase a tower case from chieftec, or antec and cut a 120mm hole in the window section ....you already have four case fans a hole saw will do you justice :smile:

<font color=green>Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza<font color=green>
February 20, 2003 4:38:32 AM

yeah, though don't get me wrong, they're great and well made cases, but geez they're way too common now a-days

February 20, 2003 11:18:44 AM

if you want something uncommon then fab your own case :smile: ....here is a nice case for ya

<A HREF="http://www.cooltechnica.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Scre..." target="_new">http://www.cooltechnica.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Scre...;/A>

<font color=green>Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza<font color=green>
February 20, 2003 2:59:32 PM

Civilized, I started cracking-up when I saw that page loading - Vapochil ! ! ! LOL, like any of us have the money for one fo those monsters - and do you know what that would cost me in Canadian dollar? like a million !! Ohk, like $700 but nonetheless, I rather get a new Barton core, or an HDTV for that price-tag, heh. Remember, this thread is "Case choice - 120mm case fans <i>for the broke modder</i>"... basically, I'll spend up to ~$200, ohk, under that, but yeah... or if it adds up to that or a little more only if it comes from Directron.com 'caus i got store credit there to spare...

February 20, 2003 6:08:30 PM

:lol:  ....I thought I would try to amuse you and others lol....Yea thats a hella lot of money for a case =]...but yet -20C cpu temps isnt too shabby =]

February 21, 2003 3:05:59 AM

very true... whenevr i sell a server i always try convincing ppl to let me install their system into one of those, hehehehehe, 'caus its a worthwhile investment, and the price ends-up being not that bad... i mean, case=$200, fans@$20 each = $100 (five case fans on a dual CPU server is about right), two heatsink w/fans = $130 TOTAL of $430... i mean yeah, you can see that the price-tag aint that far off when it gets to that point...

February 24, 2003 4:32:53 PM

I have enjoyed the <A HREF="http://www.enermax.com.tw" target="_new">Enermax CS-3051</A>. It has the following fan setup
1 - 120mm front
1 - 80mm side
2 - 80mm back
1 - 80mm top
There is room on the back to accomodate a 120mm if you don't mind making the mod yourself. You can also stealth the drives easily.

The case is not quite the quality of Antec or Chieftec but not far off it.

I really like the top fan. A lot of heat gets stuck in the top of cases without a fan up there.

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>
February 24, 2003 6:06:53 PM

hmmm, not crazy about the window, and would like somethin a little bit more "modable", also something with more bays (ie an entry level server/full tower). Looked at the 1018s models (<A HREF="http://www.enermax.com.tw/cs-1018s.htm" target="_new">http://www.enermax.com.tw/cs-1018s.htm&lt;/A>), I like those, but still, not sure how much I'm willing to spend on the case... thats why I've also been looking at some plain old beige server cases and then going ahead and modding those good, but still, its the ohysical design of the cases that keep on holding me back from doing so (also the fact that, unless I pay quite a bit, they're mostly steel/plastic)... I don't know, I guess I'll keep on looking around, and thanks again for the help, it's appreciated

<b>Remember, being two-faced is like having two lives with just one set of taxes.</b>
February 24, 2003 9:07:01 PM

I see. The Enermax 10181 is $66. Are you trying to spend less than that?

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>
February 24, 2003 9:15:00 PM

So you want 120mm fans or the ability to modify to accept 120s, aluminum, full tower case, no window, and cheap? Anything else?

February 25, 2003 3:14:18 AM

heheheh, I know I know, I'm sounding pretty damned picky, but yeah, I basically want a nice strong case, don't get me wrong, it doesn't HAVE to be Aluminium, but obviously preferable, I want to be able to mod it enough, and I want it to have 120mm intake/exhaust (at least one or the other) or at least room for me to put one. I can put a window in myself, and yeah, a full tower (I need the room for the million hard drives I have... I always end-up needing more room anyways, heh). Thats why I've also been lookin at CoolerMaster's 710 series... they're nice lookin server cases and at the extremity of my price tag, though we'll see what I can get it for wholesale (and in Montreal, Canada - paying canadian dollar is an expensive pain in the ass)

<b>Remember, being two-faced is like having two lives with just one set of taxes.</b>
February 25, 2003 3:08:28 PM

That's ok. I have spent more time looking for the ideal case. I look for the following specs not in order of importance:
-no door over the bays (it just gets in my way),
-no power supply ( I like to get a Antec True Power),
-front firewire (I am amazed at how many don't have this),
-front 1-2 USB,
-front audio line in,
-front headphone,
-top vent/fan
I am assuming it is a good quality case that doesn't look dorky. Windows and lights are not a must. As far as the front connections I like to have a panel with a door that I can easily modify. The case I got came with all but the firewire. It had a port that I could install a firewire port. I will soon be adding my BIOS Savior switch to this panel also.

Well I don't think you are picky. Everyone has their own personal needs. I got that Enermax for $75. I thought that was a good deal. I like the Chieftec cases but most of the ones I found had the doors over the drives. I hate that.

I don't think you will find what you are looking for under $60 in aluminum. If you do let me know. :smile: The hunt continues.....

February 25, 2003 7:34:05 PM

I don't know if it's quite what you're looking for, but when I build my new computer, it's gonna be in an Antec SLK 3700. Mid-tower, comes with one 120mm fan with room for another, a 350W Antec Smart Power PS, and two USB ports on the front (dunno if it's 2.0 or not). I also believe it has rubber where you mount the hard drives in order to decrease hard drive sound. Currently priced at $73 at newegg.com.
February 25, 2003 9:30:00 PM

acutally i was looking at that case, heh. It's not completely gorgeous but has much room for moddifications, though I am looking (prefferably) for something with more bays - but nonetheless a good choice. Its a strong case, and its not too expensive.

February 25, 2003 9:36:55 PM

hmmm, see, once thing that I've been keeping in mind myself is the latches that Antec/Chenming/Chieftec cases have on their side panels - its sooo usefull compared to the regular screws n side-panel garbage. But otherwise, my specs are practically the same, mind you, i like having a door.
- no PSU (i like my enermax)
- front USB/audi (i don't need firewire so, well, no need)
- the top vent, well, i can make

I like that idea about the BIOS savior, but isn't that just a feature of Abit (correct me if i'm wrong) motherboards. I've got an MSI KT3, and if there's a mod or something i can add to be able to have a bios saver like that i'd love to know about it.

February 26, 2003 2:48:43 PM

The side panel in the Antec/Chenming/Chieftec cases is very nice. You can get inside in 2 seconds if you don't have screws installed.

I ended up buying a case and ditching the power supply. It was a 350 W Powerup. I don't know why Enermax puts these in their boxes. I wonder if they make them and then for some reason have to relable them. Maybe it is a baby version of their normal line. None the less I replaced it with a 430W Antec True Power.

You can make the a top vent but on my case the louvers are pressed into the top panel of the case itself. It looks real nice. Nicer than a wire fan guard. The louvers also divert interior case noise back towards the wall. I wonder if someone makes fixed louver fan covers. That would be nice.

The <A HREF="http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English.html" target="_new">IOSS RD1 BIOS Savior</A> is a product from IOSS in Taiwan. You remove your BIOS chip, install the RD1 in it's place and then reinstall your BIOS chip on top. You have to make sure you have room. Your BIOS chip will sit higher. There is a switch that you can mount on your case to switch between two different BIOSs. You can boot under your BIOS chip and install a new BIOS to the RD1 for testing. If there is a problem with the install or after overclocking you can boot from the original BIOS chip. It doesn't back up your CMOS settings just the BIOS itself. I just installed it and it performs as advertised.

I think the <A HREF="http://antec-inc.com/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=9..." target="_new">PlusView1000AMG Metallic Gray SOHO File Server</A> is a very nice case. It will probably meet all your needs except that it is not aluminum. It doesn't come with a powersupply like many of the other Antecs. So you don't waste any money on the psu. In fact if I were buying today I probably would get the PlusView1000AMG. It is only $78. For me this case would be perfect if it had a top louver fan mount, no door over the 5-1/4" bays, and came in aluminum.

February 27, 2003 2:25:24 AM

paulj, thanks for that link - i actually have an reseller's account with them, completely forgot about it though, so I'll definitely be picking me up one of those BIOS savior things, and probably a bunch of "After Coolers" too (for the odd time I turn off the computer... and mainly for customers). The antec case is nice - and you know what, I've been thinking more and more about just saving some money ('caus they are cheap AND aluminium AND have a premoded window)... but I don't know yet, seems to be the hardest decision I've had to make as of yet... urgh. We'll see if I can pick up Coolermaster's ATC-710 for a good price 'caus I was thinkin about that one too (<A HREF="http://www.coolermaster.com/case/p710.htm" target="_new">http://www.coolermaster.com/case/p710.htm&lt;/A> ... the silver one) ... but still need to think. On the positive side, I'm gettin a new CPU ! yay ! hehehehe ... well, i've gotta hype myself up on somethin' after all, even though its only an Athlon XP 1800 (up from my 1600, heh) - but its for free, so its better than nothing ! Urgh, so many purchases to make, too many choices ;) 

<b>"Feminism is the radical notion that women are people"<b>
!