Athlon XP L1 pits already filled

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
I have an athlon 1700+ with the L1 pits already filled. Is this normal or do i just have an unlocked cpu.
If i was to use it for overclocking would the pencil trick work or would i have to use silver lacker s the resistance would be too low?

<font color=purple> "Overclocking is like jumping traffic lights - theres always a bit of slack"</font color=purple>

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Is it a Tbred or Palamino? I do believe that tbred-b's eliminate the need to unlock the L1 bridges, but you need to unlock the last L3. I could be wrong, but it would help us to lnow more about the cpu, what generaton, stepping ect.. find the numbers on the cpu itself and post them.

<A HREF="http://tekkoshocon.com/" target="_new">http://tekkoshocon.com/</A> Southeast Pennsylvania gets an Anime Convention!

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
You must have a tbred.If so, you can ignore the l1 bridges as they are closed and all you need to do is join the last l3 bridge as is shown <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=118669" target="_new">here</A>.You can either fill in the little ditch in between or just go round it carefully as they do there.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
peeps, please get this straight. The 5th L3 bridge is not a magical unlocking bridge. It simply enables/disables the high multiplier bit. With it closed (high bit OFF) you can select 5x-12.5x multipliers. With the bridge closed (bit ON) you can access higher multipliers but it depends on whether or not your motherboard offers full support for the 5th multiplier bit.

The notion that the 5th L3 bridge unlocks the processor is just misinterpretation.

When the Tbreds, 2100+ and higher, hit the market on some motherboards they only worked at default speed. (Sometimes they didn't work at all). People later discovered that if they closed the 5th bridge the multipliers could then be changed in BIOS (but only 5x-12.5x). This works this way because XP2100+ (and higher) normally have the high multiplier bit enabled (the bridge is open). Closing the bridge turns the bit OFF restricting the multiplier to just 4 bits (the 5-12.5x multipliers), which older boards CAN understand.

[addition]
We can see this with new low speed Tbreds, 1700+ thru 2000+. These CPUs have the 5th L3 bridge already connected. They need to because their default multipliers are 12.5x and lower.

There's more to it than that, namely multiplier remapping, but that's another issue.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 02/18/03 02:04 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
I'm cant really take the HSF off atm as i may break my mobo unintensionally but i will when i get around to overclocking it - its on very tight and the clip is a bit dodgy.

I thought it was a Thoroughbred B core but havent checked as you can see from the post. Are these supplied unlocked at L1?

<font color=purple> "Overclocking is like jumping traffic lights - theres always a bit of slack"</font color=purple>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
yes the l1's are unlocked in the factory with the tbred b's. you can see if it a a tbred by going into the bios and seeing if it is possible to change the multiplier. if it is then you have a tbred if not you have to unlock the bridge yourself...or your motherboard bios will not allow changes to the multiplier.

Fighting for peace is like screwing for abstinance!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by PapaSmurf on 02/18/03 11:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
i got these in wcpuid v3.0g too >>>

Processor - AMD Athlon XP (model 8)
Family 6/7 model 8/8 stepping id 1/1