Which console?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nw333

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Im getting bored of my PC (hard to believe, I know) since most of my friends have a console.

Question is, Xbox 360 or PS3? I like both Halo and God of War, so yeah.

I know this is stupid and I can figure out myself, but why not get advice from those who know more about consoles?

Also, (dont laugh, Internet sucks in my country) is 300kbps down and 200kbps up good enough for Xbox Live/PSN? (Tested with Speedtest.net on a SingTel server in Singapore from the Philippines. Ping was like 781ms lol)

Solution
Online:
Xbox 360: better network reportedly, costs subscription fee
PS3: more reported network issues, has been hacked multiple times, has no fee

Resolution:
Xbox 360: 720p
PS3: 1080p (upscaled from 720p, may appear slightly blurry due to upscaling) Neither console capable of true native 1080p

Exclusives: you already know

Controller style: preference.

Harddrive:
PS3 is available with more storage space (significantly more)

No one can tell you which is better, because they trade blows in different categories. The 360 has better online experience but at the cost of a subscription fee. PSN has been hacked a few times and user data was put at risk, but you can also more easily mod them with extra HDD space. They both have a nice...

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Online:
Xbox 360: better network reportedly, costs subscription fee
PS3: more reported network issues, has been hacked multiple times, has no fee

Resolution:
Xbox 360: 720p
PS3: 1080p (upscaled from 720p, may appear slightly blurry due to upscaling) Neither console capable of true native 1080p

Exclusives: you already know

Controller style: preference.

Harddrive:
PS3 is available with more storage space (significantly more)

No one can tell you which is better, because they trade blows in different categories. The 360 has better online experience but at the cost of a subscription fee. PSN has been hacked a few times and user data was put at risk, but you can also more easily mod them with extra HDD space. They both have a nice selection of exclusive titles. Xbox's have the dreaded red ring, which is a more commonly reported failure than any that the PS3 suffers.

At the end of the day, the only honest impartial answer that anyone can give you is that no matter which you choose, you're overpaying. :/

Solution

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

What consoles do they have? Buy the same console so you can play multi-player and swap games. No use in buying a PS3 if all you friends have XBOX360s.

I believe that is the only question you need to answer yourself and then go with it.

Nw333

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
^More like half and half. Some have Xbox, some have PS3.

Right now, the PS3 is what Im looking at. Its a bit cheaper than an Xbox here.
Although, PSN being hacked doesnt seem good to me, free MP is nice though.

Say I go for PS3, would my internet be enough? (Mentioned in 1st post)

pauls3743

Distinguished
You'd should get by for updates but I certainly wouldn't want to game with those low speeds and high ping. You'd be best to get a switch and meet up occasionally with all the consoles in one place, the local network would have a ping of damn near zero.

Nw333

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Well thats at our condo, and a lot of people are here. Thats like the lowest speed I get (internet at home is much faster, just wanted to know if I can play MP even with slow net) and I was testing from Singapore and Im in the Philippines. (Thats a 3 hour flight to give you an idea of the distance)

I just tried again, this time with a local server. This is worst case scenario kind of speed. (As in lowest) (In the city, and a server from my ISP)
Ping - 21ms
Down - 379kbps
Up - 249kbps

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Better experience? Maybe in terms of quantity of players, but in terms of quality....

Nw333

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
I know that Xbox's used to break easily back in the day, does it still do that now? (RROD)
What about the PS3? (I know about the YLOD, does it happen frequently?)

I might get both, as long as they last a while.

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

the new slims i have only ever worked on a couple yet, most of the time they are just laser replacements from normal use, but those have been ones manufactured in 2010 or early 2011, and 1 for a reflow.

the older consoles did have many issues, but they have ironed them out since then.

PS3 on the other hand i have worked on less, but there are natrually less of them out there. I have found i work on more of the phat models for YLOD and Laser replacements where as the slims i mostly just do Laser replacements.

but as of right now for both systems they are both viable choices as terms of liability, but with any electronic device it could die in a day or never die, all depends on amount of use, if it has any manufacture defect that was missed or neglect from cleaning.

Nw333

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Forgot to ask, can an R1 PS3 play multiplayer with an R3 PS3?
What about game regions? (Same question, can they play multiplayer together? Will this apply to all games?)
i.e I have an R3 copy of AC3 and my friend has an R1 copy of AC3, can we play together?

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
ah, that im not sure, wish i could answer, but i think they still connect to the same network, because im sure you can add them to your buddy list no matter where they are and play the game together, it is just theirs will be in a different language

Status
Not open for further replies.