Netgear FVS318 problem sending log

I'm using a Netgear FVS318. Everything seems to work fine except the
feature that will automatically mail the firewall logs to me. I get
"Problem sending log mail, check log settings" in the log when it tries to
send its mail message. Does anyone have this firewall/router and does the
email feature work for you?

Thanks,

Rolando

Mike

Splendid

I've never been able to get those features to work on anything. Most email
SMTP servers require a password and there never seems to be a provision for
one on a budget firewall. Go figure...

Mike

"Rolando" <aokword2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm using a Netgear FVS318. Everything seems to work fine except the
> feature that will automatically mail the firewall logs to me. I get
> "Problem sending log mail, check log settings" in the log when it tries to
> send its mail message. Does anyone have this firewall/router and does
the
> email feature work for you?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rolando

Exactly. That is my problem. If anyone knows of a workaround, I'm all
ears!

"Mike" <spamless@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I've never been able to get those features to work on anything. Most
email
> SMTP servers require a password and there never seems to be a provision
for
> one on a budget firewall. Go figure...
>
> Mike
>

> "Rolando" <aokword2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I'm using a Netgear FVS318. Everything seems to work fine except the
> > feature that will automatically mail the firewall logs to me. I get
> > "Problem sending log mail, check log settings" in the log when it tries
> > send its mail message. Does anyone have this firewall/router and does
> the
> > email feature work for you?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Rolando

>>I've never been able to get those features to work on anything. Most
>
> email
>
>>SMTP servers require a password and there never seems to be a provision
>
> for
>
>>one on a budget firewall. Go figure...

Well, my FM114P does have SMTP authentication. (Well, I don't know if
it's working as I know my ISPs SMTP server without authentication...)

Gerald

I guess this leads me to another question... what SMTP server can I use that
doesn't require authentication?

Rolando schrieb:
> I guess this leads me to another question... what SMTP server can I use that
> doesn't require authentication?

Well, usually your ISP's smtp server should be accessible.

Gerald

"Mike" <spamless@verizon.net> wrote:

>I've never been able to get those features to work on anything. Most email
>SMTP servers require a password and there never seems to be a provision for
>one on a budget firewall. Go figure...

I have the netgear fwg114p and have set the unit to send the log to me
daily and it's worked perfectly.

Just make sure the settings are identical to what you use in your
email program to send mail. Same server, same id, same password. It
will work.

Scott Peterson

--
5 days a week my body is a temple.
The other two, it's an amusement park.

257/577

Mike schrieb:
>>What does the one thing have to do with the other? Unless you don't let
>>your mailer store your password which means that you have to enter the
>>password each time you send an email.
>

> The firewall wants to send the email. It has no place to enter the
> password. It does not send it through an email client like Outlook.

I was referring to your spam statement...

>>All the ISP I know don't require a password from their own ISP network.
>

> A couple of ISP names would be appreciated so Rolando and I can get our
> FVS318s sending logs.

Most are no in the U.S. so it won't help you. As you may have noticed I
use RoadRunner.

The only thing you can really do is to write to netgear and push them to
add it as soon as possible to their firmware...

Gerald

"Mike" <spamless@verizon.net> wrote:

>Assuming the above gets through okay, exactly where would you enter the
>password?

What version of the firmware version are you using? The current
version is 2.3 and there's a 2.4 beta that fixes some minor bugs.

Scott Peterson

--
[If you can't hear me, it's
because I'm in parenthises]

294/578

Mike

Splendid

I've got Version 2.3.

Rolando wrote:
> I'm using a Netgear FVS318. Everything seems to work fine except the
> feature that will automatically mail the firewall logs to me. I get
> "Problem sending log mail, check log settings" in the log when it tries to
> send its mail message. Does anyone have this firewall/router and does the
> email feature work for you?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rolando

It works fine on all of the 318's I've installed.
The smtp server should be one you are allowed to use, preferably your ISP.
Also make sure the firmware is the latest version. Netgear boxes almost
never run properly with the shipping version.

There is a later version on their website (advertised as a beta) which
works like a charm.
E.

Mike

Splendid

E.,

>The smtp server should be one you are allowed to use, preferably your ISP.

My ISP's smtp server requires a password. So did the last two ISPs I've
had. A quick check at work with a department full of programmers confirms
that unless you are using a dial up account, the norm is to require
authentication. On the FVS318, with any version of software, there is no
place to enter a password. The last smtp server that I know of that does
not require authentication was my account at school, many years ago. If you
know of a smtp server that does not, please let me know.

Mike

In article <K8Uqc.1443$x25.148@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>,
spamless@verizon.net says...
> >The smtp server should be one you are allowed to use, preferably your ISP.
>
> My ISP's smtp server requires a password. So did the last two ISPs I've
> had. A quick check at work with a department full of programmers confirms
> that unless you are using a dial up account, the norm is to require
> authentication. On the FVS318, with any version of software, there is no
> place to enter a password. The last smtp server that I know of that does
> not require authentication was my account at school, many years ago. If you
> know of a smtp server that does not, please let me know.

Some ISP's require a password, some don't. In the case of many DSL
providers for business, they provide non-passworded SMTP access to
anything that resides on their networks.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Leythos schrieb:
> Some ISP's require a password, some don't. In the case of many DSL
> providers for business, they provide non-passworded SMTP access to
> anything that resides on their networks.

Yes, we have discussed that already. It doesn't really help him because
he has this provider that requires SMTP authentication. And the FVS318
obviously does not support that.

It all comes down to asking Netgear to add that in their firmware or
switching the ISP.

Gerald

"Mike" <spamless@verizon.net> writes:

>>The smtp server should be one you are allowed to use, preferably your ISP.

>My ISP's smtp server requires a password. So did the last two ISPs I've
>had.

For traffic both to & from their own LAN space?