Sign in with
Your question

Advanced Format, work with old PS3?

Last response: in Video Games
November 8, 2012 3:51:24 AM

Hello,

I am planning to buy a hard drive for my PS3 80GB. However, I noticed all new drives all use Advanced Format. Will this work the old PS3? (From what I am reading, there was a hardware change from the old PS3 to the Slim, in that Slims support Advanced Format while old PS3's do not)

Will an Advanced Format Drive work?
a b î Playstation
November 8, 2012 11:31:33 AM

I would think the PS3 firmware updates would take care of this, but I have no definitive information on it at this time.
m
l
Related resources
November 10, 2012 3:39:57 AM

From what I read directly from the article. RedJaron states he will "stick with the older hard drives, not advanced format". He did not use an Advanced Format Drive. And the drive you used (250GB BEVT) does not feature Advanced Format Technology.
m
l
a b î Playstation
November 21, 2012 4:59:03 PM

Sorry, Alex Atkin said so in his last two posts, same link as in my previous post.

I ordered the ST9500325AS but was instead sent the ST9500424AS. Obviously I'm not going to complain if it works, as I ordered a 5400RPM drive and got sent a 7200RPM newer model. But as this was for my PS3 and the newer model is 4K sectors, I was specifically trying to get the older model.

I just played some Red Dead Redemption and Burnout Paradise, too games I would expect to have problems if the HDD did not work right being open-world games.

Both worked perfectly, probably the smoothest I have ever seen.
m
l
!