Calling all space combat fans! Help needed!

Fans of Wing Commander, Freespace, Freelancer, TIE Fighter, and the like, listen up!

For those of you who have somehow not received the news, Chris Roberts, the creator of Wing Commander, is back! He's working on a new title called Star Citizen that will drag space combat sims kicking and screaming into the 21st century. For a peek at what they are working on, go to http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com

NOTE: This is a PC exclusive. There will be no console version since consoles don't have the horsepower to run this game. :)

Chris decided to turn to crowdfunding to a) avoid the major publishers getting their noses in his business and b) prove that there is still a market for high-end PC games in general and space sims in particular. The game hit its $2million funding goal in just two weeks(!) and we are now on to the stretch goals.

Only 11 days to go (as of today, 8 November 2012)! You can pledge directly at the RSI site:

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen

or the Kickstarter page:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen?ref=home_popular

Show your support and help make this the game we've all wanted to play for years.

Nope, there is a single player campaign called Squadron 42 which can be played offline by yourself or online in co-op mode. There will also be a persistent universe which you are free to explore and choose whatever career path you like. So think WC and Privateer/Freelancer combined.

Check out the website to get all the details.

I understand, and a lot of that aspect is still being clarified. The single player campaign should be fully PvE though, and the only reason for another human player to be there will be because you invite them.

Well I'm pleased to hear that :) When I first heard about the game, I was massively excited to play it. When I heard it was MMO, I became uninterested. And now I'm excited again! Truly a rollercoaster of emotions :)

I've been thinking about giving Darkstar One a shot - seems a bit more shallow/arcadey than Freelancer was, but looks like good fun and obviously a lot more modern and nicely presented than Freelancer. I may hold off though and wait to play this instead.

Better to work on facts than hearsay. This comes from the FAQ on the website:

Is Star Citizen an MMO?

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

Yeah I suppose there has to be a certain degree of trust - I'm not going to start double checking and second guessing everything I read on THG. I know most of these sites make mistakes from time to time and I suppose if a site makes enough mistakes (or a big enough mistake) then you lose faith in it and start getting news elsewhere.

Or at least use the site differently. Anandtech for example I'd never use for benchmarks results now because of the flawed testing methodology producing inaccurate results. Lal Shimpi is a genius when it comes to understanding and explaining technologies though (as are several of the other guys there) so it's still an excellent resource for gaining understanding of new technologies - just not quantified performance numbers.

just a note to any 1 deciding to pledge... the RID number at the end of the url is an id number of the person linking to the site to get referrals. this is then used to tally up points for potential prizes... basically its a way to get potential players to spam forums with the links in the hope that the user will win something. basically spam marketing.
not really a good way to start word of mouth.

my guess is her koos needs a pc upgrade... ;)