Help, Overclockingproblem !!

GT2003

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2003
Hi, I have a Albatron PX845PE Pro II mobo with twinmos pc3200 512 MB memory with winbondmodul, p4 2.4/533 and a radeon 9700 pro.
I have the fastest settings On my radeoncard

My problem is when a run a 3dmark 2001se test with just the orginal settings(133x18=2400mhz)(ddr 333)
I get about 11000 3dmark 2001se points.

When I overclock my sytem to 166x18=3000 and ddr to 415 I
only get 7000 3dmark 2001se points.

I have direct x9, catalyst 3.1 driver, intels latest driver
and a fresch xp-system.
I have tried diffrent options in bios too. (defult)

I have 6 hd, 2cdrom, 1 network card, 1 radeon 9700 pro, 1 soundblastercard, 1 floppy and 2 120mm papstfans in my system...

Do you think it can be my psu 300w that cusing my problem?
maby I need a bigger one?

Can someone help me with this problem!

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Possibly, but what are your temps looking like? 3dmark 2001 i sdependent on CPU, and P4's clock down at higher temps. Overclocking without real good cooling can actually run slower.

Please post in one forum, not all of them!

<A HREF="http://tekkoshocon.com/" target="_new">http://tekkoshocon.com/</A> Southeast Pennsylvania gets an Anime Convention!

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Its possible on the power supply too. Download Mother board monitor and check your voltage levels.

<A HREF="http://tekkoshocon.com/" target="_new">http://tekkoshocon.com/</A> Southeast Pennsylvania gets an Anime Convention!

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
Strange problem you have there =]...what kind of cooling are you using with your overclock?...

I have the exact same motherboard with corsair xms 3200,p4 2.4B, sapphire radeon 9700pro....Your 3dmark score is about 5000 points lower than mine at stock speeds (mine is around 15500 at stock)....I can also overclock my motherboard to 160 fsb speeds without a twitch at ddr426 speeds at cas2...I get signifigantly higher scores when overclocked (in the upper 16K range) but I also have my video card overclocked to 375/330 when I get these scores

What cas latencies are you running at that overclock?...what are your cpu temps at full load non overclocked and overclocked?.....the power supply you have is definately too small for your setup....just think...the p4 you have pulls around 8A off of the +12V rail alone...most generic 300W power supplys hardly supply 12A to this rail....once you add up all of your other 12V components you are overloading the power supply!!.....If you arent careful it can fry...you have <b>ALOT</b> of 12V components (all the hard drives, fans etc)

I used to run an Antec pp412 power supply( 400W and supplied 18A to the +12V rail) on my same machine and my led case fans would flicker all the time when my cpu was under load....this was because my system was sucking too much 12V power from my psu....I had random crashes, restarts and unstabilities in 3denviroments....
I purchased an enermax AX465-VE (466W rated and 33A to the 12V rail)...now I have no more flickers or restarts and its super quiet...I highly recommend this power supply...

But first things first...
-check cpu temps at different loads (if you are going to overclock make sure you ahve proper cooling)
-make sure you have intels inf and application accelarator installed!!!!!!!!!!!
-buy a new power supply!! because I am positive it isnt enough to push what you are running!!

<font color=green>Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza<font color=green>

barvini

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
have you managed to overclock a intel p 4 someone told me the multipliar and the FBS was locked

I am da king

svol

Champion
The multiplier of the P4 is locked and you can't possibly unlock it. But you can change your FSB if your motherboard allows it.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

GT2003

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2003
Hi,thanks for replying.
My memory are running on std. I have installed intels latest driver, and my cpu temp is about 55C with full load.

I did a test today and incresed the cpu voltage from 1.525v(defult) to 1.625v and evrything else standard.

Then my 3dmark score drop from 9600 to 5700.
When I did the test I disconnect 4 hd, 1 fan, and 2 cd drives, can it be my powersupply anyway!?

When I have all plugged in, i have no problems, just bad 3dmark score....

svol

Champion
Download WCPUID and use the actual MHz monitor to watch the CPU speed when you use a program like Prime95 to let the CPU run a 100% in desktop environment. It could be that the actual speed drops due to high temps on full-load.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek: