AMD Athlon XP 2100+ = wierd

blindmatrix

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2003
Hi, I have been trying to unlock my XP 2100+ (palmo...) to see if i can get it any faster, the problem's this.. When I'w done the onlocking procedure the CPU won't start.. So i had to remove all my work and all the (very expensive... :)) silver from it... So now it starts again... What have i done? There is NO shortcuts where it shuld be but still it don't start :'( (please check the picture http://www.lumistar.org/cpu.gif) There are some strange things to tell, First, number 2,4,6,8 and 10 (on http://www.lumistar.org/cpu.gif) are somehow connected to the "ground" (and therefore the L1 text and the AMDlogo an so on....) but only in one way... the risistans is like 150 Ohm... (i think.. if I han't got stupid...) but the mulitmeter don't give me any signs then I check if 2 and 4 have been cut,,, nor 4 and 6 and so on.. so i didn't think of that.. I started the onlocking... And now I have come the think of it.. Is my experiance normal for a 2100+? (is there a nongreen 2100 too?? Couse mine's green...??)

WOH! that became heard to read,,, I'll try to get it short here:
My CPU won't start then i have applied the liquid silver... but when i came to think of it I realised that the multimeter had gave me a strange anser when i checked the ground with 2,4,6,8 and 10, i get a resistans like 150Ohm.. Shuld it bee like that? (even before I started to 'play' with it....????)

If you can't make it good, make it look good

svol

Champion
Ok, your lucky I just have an Athlon XP lying on my desk that I have to clean so I can measure the resistance.

It is normal that pin 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 are connected with the ground, with my multimter the resistance is 240 Ohm. If you measure pin 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 you will see that they have a very high restinance. If you unlocked correctly the resistance with those un-even pins should also be around the 240 (or whatever it says) for those pins.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

blindmatrix

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2003
Thanx!!!! :)
okay, So the onlocking is still to short 1&2, 3&4 and so on? I tryed that and the CPU just didn't want to work with me :( Maby the resistance that "closed" the bridges was to high? What's the max resistans there can be to make them appear cloese?

svol

Champion
I don't know what the max resistance is... maybe Tom's article (THG video 3) has it in it. Anyway unlocking the bridges is a true pain in the ass (I know as my second unlock (my first unlocked CPU worked perfectly) is working as wished). There is a big chance that when one bridge isn't connected properly the CPU wont work or you will get weird results. I think the best unlock is if the resistance of the un-even pins after unlock is the same as the one the even pins had. Check carefulolt that the silver isn't touching the normal ground as that will also prevent the unlock from working.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

cjmurph

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
did you say Palomino? if so make sure you've filled the holes between the pins with super glue. when the silver goes in there it grounds the pins and shes a no go. I don't think you'd get much improvement from a 2100 palomino anyway. in fact I didn't think they made a 2100 with a palomino core. maybe its tbred 'a' core. in which case I have no idea having never owned one.

svol

Champion
No no, the XP2100+ was originally a Palomino core. The XP2200+ was the first T-bredA and the XP2400+ the first T-bredB

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
precisely, i have a 1900+ Palomino and the damn thing won't overclock in the slightest.

at stock freq i'm fine, but ANY FSB overclock results in system locks....although i think my mobo is equally to blame....Soltek SL75-DRV2's (KT266A) were never that great for OC-ing.

blindmatrix

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2003
*hu*? I have done FSBclocking on my 2100... and it works for me... I have it stable @ 140MHz, if i go up to 145 my NIC starts to give me trouble... :/

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
I could get 144FSB out of my 2000+, but that was it, even with voltage increases. And I now know I wasnt limited by my PCI/AGP speeds (running 152FSB on a Tbred B), but I just dont think the palominos would ever overclock very well.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>

kohkohnut

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2003
well my 1700+ palomino is now 155FSB*11.is dat gd or wat?

Athlon XP 1700+(1.47ghz)
ABIT KR7A KT266A DDR ATA 100m/b
384mb Kingston PC-2100 DDR RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64mb(Org)
40gb ATA100 7200RPM 2mb buffer(WD400BB)
WinXP with SP1