Opinions on Thermaltake Vulcano 7+

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Yes.

The specs for it are here:
<A HREF="http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v7plus.htm" target="_new">http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v7plus.htm</A>

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
i was recommended that same hsf and when i came to put it on, it blew my motherboard, cpu and memory setup.. i wasnt a happy bunny..
it wasnt something that i had done either, it was down to the heat sink being designed badly and it not sitting right on the cpu.
after my local pc shop modified it, it now works fine, although my girl friend sons machine has a cpu cooler from fanner and that seems to do a better job that the thermaltake model.. ironic.. and to top it off, it was half the price

If it blows up? Opps.... I must have been doing something wrong

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
it's a heavy hsf unit, so did you not have the supports under your mobo and the weight bent the board? that's possible...but other than that i can't see a hsf being to blame for those problems
plus, the v7+ is only ~$35 USD, so saying you got one that's half the price isn't really saying much...they're both very cheap
the hsf is designed to work for athlons as well...so i don't know how this is possible:
it was down to the heat sink being designed badly and it not sitting right on the cpu.
were there capacitors in the way?
anyhow i recommend this hsf despite phill21's complaints
it's heavy though, so if you're going to be moving it around, use a shim

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
im not sure what caused the problem and i never said it was a bad heatsink, i just stated that i had problems with it, which did make me have a blown board cpu etc..
the heatsink is ok, but as for the spire one i have in my girl friend sons machine, its not as good.. which is ironic, but what you going to do?
the local shop that i took it to, said there was something a miss with it also, maybe it was just a bad batch.
its good providing you can get it to work properly!!

bertvandonk

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
You have to be aware of the fact that the clip that holds
the heatsink on can only go on one way to be correct.The
bottom of the bend of the clip must be over the CPU otherwise the whole system will tilt albeit by a small angle
and then you will have all the above problems.

avandonk

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
it probably just bent the board or something i wasnt that bothered.. i have everything working to the way i wanted.. i just wouldnt mind it a bit faster!!

Sigma

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
Thanks for the replies. I got an XP2100 T-bred (B-core), vulcano 7+ hsf, some silver arctic III, and a non- conductive cpu shim to throw on my A7M266 mobo. Just want a hold over until the next gen. athlons come out, then i'll put together a new box.