cooling fans

bertvandonk

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Any twit can put many very large fans on their system. The
trick is to have fans that do their job only when needed.I live in Melbourne Australia and the ambient temperature can
reach 44 deg celcius as it did about a week or two ago. The
four fans(x2) in both of my systems 80mm Thermaltake(1&2) were spinning at over 5000revs abient at 42deg celcius.But when
it is cooler one can hardly hear them.The processor temps.
MBM5 (diode)were 56degC and 58 degC.The other trick is to replace that pissy little fan in the power supply with a decent grunty fan (ThermaltakeII) and use the thermistor
on the heat-sink of the power supply and replace the pot.
that comes with the above with a 50k variable potentiometer
and then you can set the base speed of the fan to what your
environment requires.

avandonk

svol

Champion
Or you use a DigiDoc 5 that temp controls your fans with only quiet fans in your system.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Greetings fellow melbournanite :smile:
our weather certainly is fun aint it? specially with no aircon.

In my extensive coolign history ive found that effective cooling starts with a quality case.
If you dont have airholes and thruput you are forever fighting with negative pressures and warm mobo temps.

ive got a atlas aluminium case, and i can run it with only 3 of the 6 casefans installed (2 rear, 1 top). in addition to that i have a big MCX-462 with TT smartfan2 on the cpu.
the 3 casefans are 2000rpm panaflo quiet fans.

Even when the room got up to a rediculous 32C my 25% oc on my XP1700+ ran fine. (max of 4200rpm for the CPU fan)

My psu is an enermax 550W with temp dependent fans. good that way as i dont have to manually adjust em. :)

End result, a very quiet computer in the cold, with the variable speed PSU and CPU fan kicking in when it gets toasty!

<i>"Revenues were less than robust"</i> - QWEST
<i>"The company applied its accounting policies incorrectly"</i> - WORLDCOM
<i>"Certian financial adjustments may be required"</i> - AOL+TW.