Pencil to close L1 bridges good or bad?

Bohica

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2001
i read somewhere that he pencils do not work and are a myth. Though a pencil sounds like the easiest way to close the L1 bridges. Also closing the L1 bridges, do i close them all? and doing so allows me to use higher multipliers correct?

cjmurph

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
even though siver pens are expensive, they work properly. I have unlocked a few palomino cores with silver paint and only ever blew up my first Duron with crappy window defogger paint. I have never tried a pencil because all of my friends who did it had about a 60% success rate and it didn't last forever. Use scotch tape to mask, be patient, by a magnifying glass and do it properly. what core are you using? you'll need to know because some have tiny laser cut holes between the contacts that need to be filled first with glue.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Athlon Thunderbirds, Duron Spitfires and Morgans were easy to unlock with a sharp 4B pencil line on each of their L1 bridges. That's the method I used on my 1GHz Duron Morgan with great success ( 166MHz x 6 @ 1.3V )

All Athlon XPs are unlockable using conductive paint, due to the various cores in circulation today, you'll need to search the web for detailed instruction because the location and function of their bridges is different.

It is also possible to unlock AXPs with a metal wire loop between some pins, once again, do some research before atempting anything.

Fok Speling Misstake

svol

Champion
It all depends on which CPU core you have... tell me which and I tell you how to unlock them.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

Champion_Tufshop

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2002
if tbird/etc then pencil=yes, (make sure to mask with scotch tape)

if palomino, then no
if tbred, then either lower set or higher set is already unlocked depending on cpu itself.....some boards unlock all sets too (most kt400 and nforce2)