O.C.'ing BUG bites hard.

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Thanks guys. I thought I had rehabilitated myself from my Celeron overclocking days, but from reading this forum, I've caught the bug again. I have saved money for quite a while to buy a high-end system in about 3-4 months. However, all this talk about the 1700+ B-core has got me itching to tweak, so now I have decided to build a "tide-me-over" system.

I already have a brand new Kingwin case, which you can see here: <A HREF="http://www.kingwin.com" target="_new">http://www.kingwin.com</A>. This case is aluminum, and from everything I've read, it has very good air flow with its six fans. The power supply I bought is an Antec 430W Truepower. (I can never save enough money to upgrade all at once, so I buy incrementally :) )

Besides those two things, I have a couple 80 GIG Maxtors I got cheap that I will run in a RAID 0. I already have a burner and DVD player. I ordered up some Arctic Silver. From what I've read here, it sounds like the Epox board is great for overclocking and price/performance ratio, so I'm thinking of buying one of those. I'm figuring on getting Corsair DDR400 CL2 in two sticks of 256Meg. I'll buy a Ti4200-64 or something in that price range to tide me over. (Radeon 9500?)

Question for y'all: Am I missing or forgetting anything? It's been a while since I did this, and I don't know certain things...like the best CPU Fan/heatsinks. Sounds like the Thermaltake Volcano 7 works fine for 1700+, right? My goal is max overclock with conventional cooling. 2.3 to 2.5 ghz would probably satisfy me.

Am I correct that I won't need to do anything special to "unlock" the T-bred B core with the Epox board? Or should I get myself some rear-window-defroster-repair-goop just in case?

Any other recommendations?

Also, is the Ti4200 overclockable with good cooling? I have no hands-on experience with these cards, or with the new Radeons. My current card is a geForce 3.

Is there anyplace you can see where I'm "wasting" money?

I want to move to space, so I can overclock processors cooled to absolute zero.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Twitch on 02/25/03 03:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Apap

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Yea Twitch, sounds like you are on the right track. lots of folks are using the slk 800 heatsink with an 80 mm fan.No you dont have to jump anything on the tbred core athlons if you are going to use the epox 8rda series boards, mine works well. watch your temps, ramp up your fsb slowly,drop your multiplier to 10, once you have maxed out your fsb ,then start upping your multiplier to max your cpu clock. If you are willing to spend a few more bucks, the 2100 tbred b cores seem to have more "headroom". good luck !

system spec or witty quote , still thinking.....

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
you should be able to push the GF4 Ti 4200 GPU from 250Mhz to around 300 or even 310Mhz, with increased cooling maybe further.

My GF4 Ti runs fine at 300, and i've had it up at 310, but for sake of prolonging the lifespan of the part i run down at 300

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
LOL yep. the 1700+ B core is a ripper. will do 166fsb right outta the box on stock voltage apparently, and from what ive seen up to 2.2Ghz often.

<i>"Revenues were less than robust"</i> - QWEST
<i>"The company applied its accounting policies incorrectly"</i> - WORLDCOM
<i>"Certian financial adjustments may be required"</i> - AOL+TW.

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
All right. Thanks for all your help. newegg.com got my credit card number today. Parts are on order. In 2-3 days I should be a happy tweaker. :smile:

I want to move to space, so I can overclock processors cooled to absolute zero.

svol

Champion
Off topic regarding your sig... you do know that CPUs are made from semiconductors that have ifinity resistance at -273.15 C (they become insulators). Nevertheless it is a nice sig.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

svol

Champion
LOL... well I didn't learn this by using PCs. I learned that during my Physics graduation project about thermoelectrics.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: